Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Simple Tech 500GB External Hard drive

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Kaeljia

Kaeljia

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 27 August 2009 - 01:20 AM

I have an external hard drive that I bought because of a crash I had back in March of this year.
I had all my computer transfered onto this hard drive, and reformatted my computer. I still have problems with my computer with trojans, and such every few days.. even with all the precautions.
Today was not a good day, as my daughter has been putting all her photos and images of her art work onto this hard drive into the folder we had created prior to the original crash. We have had no problems with this external hard drive and have been placing photos and files we want to keep onto it, we have diligently been deleting all copies off of the hard drive of our operating system.
Tonight the folder in which all her work and thousands of photos we've been saving for years and other files... have mysteriously disappeared from the folder called My Pictures. I have been putting other photos in a separate folder that I labeled photos 2009. My folder called My Pictures on my computer are fine.. no problem. When we tried to upload a photo, one file into the folder called My pictures it said it was corrupted. We tried to rename it... it was still corrupted, we did scans and found nothing wrong with the hard drive... no malware no virus.
This on going problem I've been experiencing with trojans is tiresome. and now that we've lost years of photos its become a nightmare.
WE need to know if there is a way to find these files. They have to be in the hard drive somewhere don't they. WE didn't erase them? What happened to them?
Even if they were renamed wouldn't we find them somewhere in another file or folder?
Please help asap, the most recent photos are from a job, and will cost us money to have to retake.
Thank you for taking the time to read this. I hope someone can help us.

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kaeljia

Kaeljia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2009 - 02:01 PM

just an update of what we have tried to find lost or hidden files.
I did go into my computer and chose the unhide hidden files.. folder is still empty..but I am at this moment going through every folder on the external hard drive looking for them. I understand that there is a program that can help find deleted files.. this may be the way we have to go... I look forward to someone's help. thank you.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 27 August 2009 - 03:02 PM

Generally speaking...in my experience, when files/folders start disappearing, it's a signal for one of two things:

a. Malware.

b. File system or hard drive problems on the drive.

If it's a problem with the file system/drive...then recovery software is the best chance that you have for recovering files which are now inaccessible.

Are you looking for free software or paid versions? I only have experience with paid versions, but others here can suggest free alternatives.

Louis

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2009 - 03:07 PM

Have a program load`d on my break-me PC at home. Can not remember the name, free\or paid. Meant just for the recovery of images. Will check it when I get there and post back.

In the meantime we will hope it is not an infection.

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2009 - 06:11 PM

I have the full vers. and it works well. There is a trial vers. Do not know what the limitations are.

http://undeleteplus.com/

#6 Kaeljia

Kaeljia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2009 - 02:49 PM

Thanks ThunderZ and Hamluis. It is just the contents of Mypictures that is missing. I've run a virus and malware scan on the external hard drive that has the issue...and nothing, its clean. We weren't even on line when we lost the contents and the drive was on and open but that file wasn't.... I've looked in every other folder, cleaned out debris (contents I don't need anymore) and still nothing. I thought maybe it was hidden and unhide everything..nothing.
I will give the undelteplus a go and see what happens thanks again.

quick update... I downloaded the undelete program... trial version. Guess I'll have to get the full version if I want to undelete anything. I found some photos that no one even touched. GO figure. This was helpful but the photos which were in the thousands are not in there. So we have no idea what to think, I mean we were downloading into this file to save room on our computer never dawned on us that we would lose it on the external hard drive. Shocked and upset still over the loss. Not sure what else is possible. Still no sign of virus either.

Okay, something new is happening with my external drive.... I just got a corrupt file warning. I am unable to delete or view the contents in three folders, when I open them each has o kb in them,yet when I go to delete them I can't a warning comes up saying directory is not empty. I have chosen to show all hidden files, and nothing shows up still in any of these folders.

Edited by Kaeljia, 31 August 2009 - 03:28 PM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2009 - 03:58 PM

I think I'd spend some money on recovery software, GetDataBack - Data Recovery Software - http://runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm would be my choice.

Louis

#8 Kaeljia

Kaeljia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2009 - 06:37 PM

Thanks Luis, cause nothing was found. Either in the recycle bin or else where. WIsh this was an easy fix.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users