Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New to Databases

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 smthngfny

smthngfny

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 27 August 2009 - 01:08 AM

I work for an alarm monitoring company and I want to design a database that would include all of our customers (about 350). The information that I need to track includes user passcodes (in some cases up to 15 per account). The real reason that I would like to do this is that we have multiple paper copies to fill out and I would like to alleviate that. The biggest thing that I am concerned about is tracking changes to those accounts. I need to be able to assign user names to everyone where I work (about a dozen), see all changes any user has made or just simply find the change and when it was made.
I'm also wondering if it would be possible to update the database based on changes made in the alarm monitoring software (although I fear that task would not only be above my capabilities but impossible to get through the red tape).
I only have a basic understanding of Access (what our company uses) and I am wondering if it is even a good idea for me to bring up. I am a quick learner but I also don't want this to take forever.
Comments, questions, and ideas are all appreciated.
Thanks!
John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 27 August 2009 - 02:03 AM

I've tried on more than one occasion to wrap my head around databases, and to no avail. That being said, someone I know who DOES "get it" just dies over Filemaker Pro. According to him it's so easy to make a database and front end that he can do it in his sleep using nothing but his toes and a large feather. Me? I haven't a clue how to use it. But I guess it's worth a look.

#3 smthngfny

smthngfny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 27 August 2009 - 03:46 PM

I took a look at Filemaker and it absolutely an amazing product. I was able to make a mock up of what I wanted pretty easily but I talked to IT today and they said there was no way that a request for that software would be approved (darned economy). So, not knowing much about Access, I am wondering if it is still feasible for me to do all those things.
Thanks for the advice though!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users