Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I have an Advanced Virus Remover problem

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 penelopi

penelopi

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 26 August 2009 - 09:48 PM

Not sure how to do this.

Two days ago a blue screen came on with a black box and red writing saying that my computer has been infected, and that it is imperative that I install virus remover. The English was not what I would expect from a professional provider or Windows XP Microsoft.

Then various boxes pop up as I use my computer, and I cannot continue until I get rid of them. One of them pops up on the right lower corner saying System warning! with a red "x". Then it says "Intercepting programs that may compromise your privacy and harm your system have been detected on your PC. It's highly recommended you scan your PC right now." I do not know if this is ligit or not. It also pops up and says, "Continue working in unprotected mode is very dangerous. Viruses can damage yor confidential datea and work on your computer. Click here to protect your computer." These particular messages disappear after a minute or so, and then reappear, and I can type other things while they are showing.

Then a thing will pop up saying that they are offering a Trial vesion of Advanced Virus Remover. There is a triangle withthe red "x" = which is really a white "x" in a red triangle. Then it wants me to "Activate full funcional version to remove existing security threats from you PC." I can activate or cancel, or click on the red "x" in the upper right hand corner.

Then a long skinny box pops up saying (red x) Attention! System detected a potential hazard (TrojanSPM/LX) on your computer that may infect executable files. You [sic] private information and PC safety is at risk. To get rid of unwanted spyware and keep your computer safe you need [sic] update your current security software. Click OK to download official intrusion detection system (IDS software).

Then a box pops up that looks like the cover of a manual or book that says "Advanced Virus Remover Trial Version". Then almost immediately after that pops up a "System download" and starts to run down some programs listing files or something one after another, and I click on the upper right "X" to make it stop and go away.

Then a box will pop up saying "Critical Vulnerables found. Name and Alert level, and "Virus.Win32.Gpcode.ak under Name and High Risk under "Alert Level". I can click on the "x" in the upper right corner, or a box that says "Fix my computer" or a box that says "Ignore"

Then a little box pops up saying, "New Update Available. Warning! New Version of dabases [sic] is available. Would you like to update them right now? "Yes" in a box, "No" in a box.

Then a black background with a red box and white words saying, "Restricted site!" [line across the page] "This web site is restricted based on your security preferences." Line across the page. "Please activate your antivirus software."

What other information can I give? Also, when I checked "My Computer" is shows a software program I have is HijackThis 1.99.1 I have no idea what this is. Can anyone out there help me? I am clueless about computers.

I have a Microsoft Windows XP, Professional, Version 2002, Service Pack 3. Also something says Microsoft Pofessional Edition 2003 and Windows Inernet Explorer 8.

Thank you,

Penelopi

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Straythe

Straythe

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 29 August 2009 - 07:42 PM

Hello; please note I am not a staff member here, but perhaps I can help get things started.

Those pop-ups and warnings definitely aren't from legitimate programs. They're often nicknamed "scareware" because they try to scare folks into downloading or even paying for their software, which just makes things worse.

Also, when I checked "My Computer" is shows a software program I have is HijackThis 1.99.1 I have no idea what this is.

HijackThis is an advanced scanning tool that can show suspicious entries on your computer. It shouldn't be there unless someone purposely installed it, though. Has someone else been working on your machine, or did you get this computer recently? Or was HijackThis not showing up in "My Computer" before now?

Also, do you have an antivirus program already running, and if so, which one?

The first thing I'd suggest is installing and running Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, which is fairly simple and can do a great deal of cleaning right away. It may take a few hours to run. If you have any questions about running it, please post back here and we'll help out.

Here's a step-by-step guide on how to use it (by Blade):

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...t&p=1395995

Oh - and it may be helpful to subscribe to this topic, so you are notified by email as soon as someone replies. There's an Options box at the top right of your first post. Click on "Track this topic" which will open a list, then check the "Immediate notification" option, then click "Proceed" at the bottom.

Good luck - Straythe
***"When you surround an enemy, leave an outlet free [...] to make him believe there is a road to safety, and thus prevent his fighting with the courage of despair." Sun Tzu ***

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users