Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen intermitently goes black for 2 seconds

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 foxito

foxito

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 26 August 2009 - 07:44 PM

Hi I'am runing windows XP Home SP3 in an old homemade AMD machine (6 years old). The screen goes off (turns black) for 2 seconds and comes back by itself. This happens frequently 2 or 3 times every 15 minutes, No error codes are shown and the program running when this failure ocurr is not affected. This happens while browsing online , while checking e-mail and also when working offline.

I have an MSI board MS 6712 1.0 (KT4 AV)
CPU AMD Athlon XP 1.93 MHZ
1536 Megabytes of DDR memory in 3 modules of 512 each
Video card NVIDIA GeForce 6200
DIsplay ViewSonic VA2226w
Audio SB Audigy
antivirus PC tools
drivers updated

Only changes I made prior to this failure was to disable in the BIOS some unused ports (com ports and parallel ports). after I notice the failure I went back to BIOS and reinstall those ports. However the problem persisted. I can use the computer but is very annoying the turning off the screen every few minutes.

Help to correct this problem will be appreciated. Thanks in Advance

Foxito

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,705 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 27 August 2009 - 05:02 AM

It would be very useful for fault-finding if you are able to test the monitor on another computer, or alternatively try another monitor for a while, to be sure whether the black screen is originating in the monitor or the computer. That could avoid some frustration and timewasting trying possible cures in the wrong area.

Edited by Platypus, 27 August 2009 - 05:03 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 foxito

foxito
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2009 - 02:10 PM

Thanks Platypus, I don't have an spare monitor to do the check, But I'll try the monitor in a friends computer to see if it fails there. Thanks for your reply.

#4 Trinpim

Trinpim

• Banned
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 28 August 2009 - 10:36 PM

You can check if the Vga connector or something, this may happen if the VGA connector is loose. :thumbsup:

#5 foxito

foxito
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2009 - 04:20 PM

Thanks Trimpin I checked that to connector is OK.

#6 brooksey!!!

brooksey!!!

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 04 September 2009 - 05:19 AM

I guess you have tried all the obvious things - but just in case, here goes:

Change the VGA cable with a new one - fault inside the wire

Check inside the PC tower that nothing is loose - e.g soldering, wiring etc

Revert back to the old BIOS perhaps?

Check on the screen that nothing is loose inside - same again, soldering, wiring...

Check the drivers for your display program etc. I had a similar problem - updated ATI Catalyst Control - eliminated the problem

Have you managed to get it checked on your friends monitor yet?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users