Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A couple of questions if I may

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 BigJohnny

BigJohnny

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 26 August 2009 - 07:05 PM

where to begin.... I'm really just looking for some answers here which have been on my mind with my recent virus infection.

I've posted the required logs in the proper section and am desperately waiting for help, but searching around I'm unable to find answers to the questions I have here.

first, upon discovery that I had a virus, spybot was the program to discover it, the computer wouldn't boot into normal mode, I can only run in safe mode. When I "cleaned" the virus with spybot, my computer booted into normal mode for about 10 mins and then crashed, and failed to boot normally again, resulting in me being forced to use safe mode again.

What happened that the virus was able to reinfect my windows install after being "removed"??

One of the first things I tried before I knew I had a virus, was to pop in a new 80GB HD, NO PARTITIONS. I did have my other 4 HD's plugged in at the time. as soon as I booted up the computer, I received a warning about the boot sector was going to be modified...... stupidly I allowed this as I assumed it was part of the PE CD I was going to use to prepare the new HD.

I partitioned the drive and tried to install windows. upon reaching "Installing Devices" the install would crash after loading my keyboard and mouse, the same point at which windows would crash when trying to boot into normal mode.

on a new clean install, how is this virus being loaded by the windows installer, when it obviously isn't part of windows?

I unplugged ALL hard drives, and used ONLY a PE CD (MiniPE), with absolutly no hard drives plugged in, MiniPE would get to its loading/splash screen, load my keyboard and mouse, and then crash.

How is this virus able to prevent Pre-installation Environment CD with no hard drives connected from loading, in the same fashion as my infected windows install?

I put the NEW HD back in as the ONLY hard drive, used Win98 bootdisk, and did an FDISK on this new drive to delete the partitions. IMMEDIATELY I got the warning again about the boot sector being modified. I disallowed it this time. THERE ARE NO PARTITIONS ON THE DRIVE AT THIS POINT. so I boot up the computer to install windows and re-partition the drive HOWEVER, instead of getting an error about not having a boot drive, or the drive not having partitions, THE HALF FINISHED WINDOWS INSTALL CONTINUED....

How could the windows install try and continue when there are no partitions on the new hard drive? continuing from "installing Devices" and crashing again after loading my mouse and keyboard??

Long story short, does this virus infect the BIOS??? I realize it has created a device in device manager, which I thought I had removed before posting my logs here, but obviously it's still around.

Where the heck is this virus hiding that it is able to wreak such havoc and even prevent me from installing windows on a new drive, or preventing MiniPE from loading with no hard drives connected?

I have done nothing since I've posted logs here, but I REALLY would appreciate any helpful answers to these questions that anyone could give me.

everything I have seen with this virus, goes against everything I've personally experienced with computers for the past 15 years... I have NEVER encountered anything like this.

Edited by BigJohnny, 26 August 2009 - 07:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BigJohnny

BigJohnny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2009 - 06:27 AM

The most important question I forgot to ask..... is there a chance this has infected my other 4 drives resulting in data loss on a large scale??

someone told me that it has probably infected all of my files, but from what I've seen it doesn't appear to infect files that are related to the OS....but what do I know.....

Edited by BigJohnny, 27 August 2009 - 07:30 AM.

#3 BigJohnny

BigJohnny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2009 - 09:05 AM

anyone?? I would like to know a little more about this virus, at this point im thinking its both a virus and hardware failure but cant figure out what hardware.

#4 BigJohnny

BigJohnny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2009 - 07:36 AM

hello????

no has any answers???

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2009 - 08:45 AM

You might have a hardware issue?

I would start from scratch with all drives disconnected. Make sure the computer is clean, clear cmos with jumper pins and or remove the mobo battery. Reseat the ram. Post into bios and use setup defaults first.

Go over all the settings and screens in bios?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 BigJohnny

BigJohnny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2009 - 09:47 AM

I have gone through BIOS actually..... haven't cleared the CMOS though, I actually forgot I could do that. But as of now I'm leaning towards bad PSU.

my computer wouldn't even start, I hit the power button and got only a flicker of power, I hit it again successively and got power for a little bit longer, hit it a 3rd and 4th time and the computer started......like I had to charge it or something.

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2009 - 09:59 AM

That would have been my next investigation, seeing if bios reported low voltages?

Too many drives and work scanning them for an old worn out power supply?

It's convenient if they just die completely, when they linger and cause errors it's hard to troubleshoot.

I have been there and done that, removing a very stubborn infection and then reloading and having issues like yours.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#8 BigJohnny

BigJohnny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2009 - 02:27 PM

ya i've had it happen once before, except I didn't have a virus, and the computer would just shut down, but it would still boot normally, just shut down and not start until it was cool....then it blew like a bunch of firecrackers lol.

this however is more daunting, because it will start in safe mode, but not normally, and the symptoms are the same even if I unplug all of my drives.... this happens with a knoppix bootdisk as well, it wont start with linux, it won't start normally, and it won't start with similar boot cds such as MiniPE.

I really hope it isn't my video card, which is another suspect actually and might better explain why it won't start in normal mode if it's trying to load higher res and drivers for the vid card.

my problem here is it's a PCI-e card, I just picked up a new (surplus) computer, IBM Netvista, which will give me computer usage, but I can't plug my video card into it. I could however i suppose plug the NV Vanta into my computer as long as it's AGP at least.... I think I still have an AGP slot.

not a bad deal though $101 CAD after tax for a decent fully working system, in good shape too, and will make a nice addition if I can ever clean out this damn virus. I'm still awaiting a reply for my posted log. I'd really like to get rid of the virus 100% so I don't end up infecting my new computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users