Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Page Load Errors/Connection to server was lost..or reset

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 wharfrat450

wharfrat450

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 26 August 2009 - 06:52 PM

Hi, I'm an idiot...here is my deal...

Windows XP, comcast internet, Emachines desktop.

Various problems over the last 3 years, but in the last few months, the computer was slowing down and irritating me...I started uninstalling, deleting and turning off as much stuff as possible...eventually, I uninstalled Mcafee, but it wouldn't uninstall completely, and then it would not let me reinstall...at this point, I feel I was unprotected and got bugs..

Finally, today I was able to install AVG and eliminated Trojan and various other goodies from my computer, but I still have the same problem that developed before I killed Mcafee...

Certain pages will not load...they tend to be pages where you would download something...For instance, I can't even go to Microsoft Window Update website...the page won't load...Same deal with Mcafee...that is why I remained unprotected for a bit...

The problem occurs both with Firefox and IE...but sometimes one is better than the other...for instance, I can get into my comcast email with Firefox, but after signing in through IE, the email page never fully loads....

On the bright side, my computer is faster than ever...I got rid of a lot of junk, I can easily surf to 90% of the places I want to go...but I sure would like to fix the problem...

Remember anyone who has advice to give me...if you suggest that I go somewhere to download and run something....there is an 80% chance that I will get a page load error for that website...makes the fix tricky...it really is primarily download type sites that give me trouble..everything else is good...give me multiple alternatives if possible..

Sure do appreciate any thoughts.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 26 August 2009 - 07:07 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Please subscribe to your topic so that you will be notified as soon as I post a reply, instead of you having to check the topic all of the time. This will allow you to get an email notification when I reply.

To subscribe, go to your topic, and at the top right hand corner by your first post, click the Options button and then click Track this topic. The bullet the immediate notification bubble. Then press submit.

Lets take a look with Malwarebytes

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here:
Malwarebytes
Please rename the file BEFORE downloading to zztoy.exe instead of mbam-setup.exe

MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.

Double Click zztoy.exe to install the application.
* Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Full Scan", then click Scan.
* The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)
* The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
* Copy&Paste the entire MBAM report (even if it does not find anything) in your next reply

Extra Note:
If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process, if asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.

If Malwarebytes won't install or run

Some types of malware will disable MBAM and other security tools. If MBAM will not install, try renaming it. Right-click on the mbam-setup.exe file and change the .exe extension to .bat, .com, .pif, or .scr and then double-click on it to run.

If after installation, MBAM will not run, open the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware folder in Program Files, right-click on mbam.exe and change the .exe as noted above. Then double-click on it to run.
Computer Pro

#3 wharfrat450

wharfrat450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2009 - 07:10 PM

Yep...I had already tried that...

As mentioned..I can't get to most of those type of web pages..I'm currently in Firefox and ger:

The webpage "www.malwarebytes.org" cannot be found
DNS error occurred. Server cannot be found. The link may be broken.

I will try on IE..

#4 wharfrat450

wharfrat450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2009 - 07:12 PM

Basically, the same deal with IE...I cant get there..

The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

#5 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2009 - 07:17 PM

Try these:

http://malwarebytes.gt500.org/mbam-setup.exe

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Malwarebytes_Ant...ware_d5756.html
Computer Pro

#6 wharfrat450

wharfrat450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2009 - 07:17 PM

something else new....on reboot, I'm left with a desktop-Notepad open with the following text...I have no idea how it is or if it is related to the problem:

[.ShellClassInfo]
LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21787

#7 wharfrat450

wharfrat450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2009 - 07:20 PM

Thanks...yep, I had searched another thread and tried those also..

The first one gives me a 404 file not found..

The second one, I can get to the download page at Major Geeks..and it almost seems like I will get the download going...then I lose the connection..:

Server not found

Firefox can't find the server at store.malwarebytes.org.

* Check the address for typing errors such as
ww.example.com instead of
www.example.com

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

#8 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2009 - 07:25 PM

Is there a way that you could transfer the file via Thumb Drive or DVD to the infected computer from a clean one?
Computer Pro

#9 wharfrat450

wharfrat450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2009 - 07:28 PM

Good thought.....

That will take me a few minutes...at least...see you in a bit.

#10 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2009 - 07:48 PM

Ok
Computer Pro

#11 wharfrat450

wharfrat450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2009 - 08:52 PM

Update: It was a bit tricky, but I was able to get the mbam on a flash and transfer it to my desktop....it bombed out initially during the update portion, but when I relaunched it, I was able to start a scan....

I'm 40 minutes in now and still scanning...what do you think...? another 15 minutes or so?

#12 wharfrat450

wharfrat450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2009 - 08:54 PM

It has scanned almost 50,000 objects, and so far it has not seen any infections.

Also, should I restart at completion?? That wasn't crystal clear in your initial post...

#13 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2009 - 08:57 PM

It will tell you if it needs a restart. And its a good thing that it hasnt found anything :thumbsup:
Computer Pro

#14 wharfrat450

wharfrat450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2009 - 09:02 PM

Thanks....I was thinking that was good also.....but if it did find something..it might explain
the problems I'm having....otherwise....??? I guess you have additional ideas??

#15 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2009 - 09:08 PM

Yes it might. And yes after malwarebytes is done, there are still plenty more scanners to run/
Computer Pro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users