Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backdoor Trojan - among others [Moved]

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mikeficklonni

mikeficklonni

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 26 August 2009 - 05:37 PM

I am running Windows XP - sp3 with Norton 2009.

I had Packed.Generic.233, Downloader, Trojan Backdoor viruses. Currently, Google or Yahoo will rediect links. After a few passes my Norton Antivirus, it seemed to clean some viruses...now full scan shows no threats. However, I still have viruses and after reading posts here, I tried to solve this myself. When I try to run scanners, including Hijackthis, it appears to run for a second, and then disappears. If I try to run the program again...it says "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." message. This happened with internet explorer as well. I had to install firefox to access the web. Finally, although Norton does not find any threats during a scan, once in a while it detects and blocks backdooor.trojan.

Please help. Since I can't run the scanners...I need expert guidance...

Thanks in advance.

MF

After reading a similar thread with the same problem, I think I may have to format and start from scratch. I have a secondary hard drive where I backup datafiles. I fear that I've been compromised beyone repair.

If I redo my C drive, is it safe to assume my secondary drive is clean, since it only contains data?

I appreciate any advice on these issues....thanks again.

Edited by mikeficklonni, 26 August 2009 - 06:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,807 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 26 August 2009 - 11:21 PM

As no logs have been posted, I am shifting this topic from the specialized HiJack This forum to the Am I Infected forum.

==>PLEASE DO NOT NOW POST LOGS<== unless a log is specifically requested.
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 Straythe

Straythe

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 29 August 2009 - 05:43 PM

After reading a similar thread with the same problem, I think I may have to format and start from scratch. I have a secondary hard drive where I backup datafiles. I fear that I've been compromised beyone repair.

If I redo my C drive, is it safe to assume my secondary drive is clean, since it only contains data?

I appreciate any advice on these issues....thanks again.

Hello, please note I'm not a staff member here, just someone who's read a lot of threads.

Before you back up your files, you should run Flash-Disinfector to protect any secondary drives you're using. Please see Blade's post on how to use it:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...t&p=1397900

Some infections can stash themselves on external drives, and some can infect data files also. So I would say you cannot assume that your backup drive is safe without protecting and scanning it.

Some infections also take a great deal of time and effort to remove. It's up to you whether a reformat and reinstall is your best option. There are some guides here, from DaChew's post:
Taken from DaChew's post here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...t&p=1401679

Good luck - Straythe
***"When you surround an enemy, leave an outlet free [...] to make him believe there is a road to safety, and thus prevent his fighting with the courage of despair." Sun Tzu ***

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users