Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD's ~~~

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 NoComputerFan

NoComputerFan

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 26 August 2009 - 10:26 AM

Sorry to barge in on your thread here, but I'm having some issues with BSOD as well. I don't have the exact message, shame on me. But I have completely reformatted the computer and the BSOD is still present. I would like to know the most likely cause-RAM or hard drive? I have 2 GB of RAM-Samsung, and a 250 GB Western Digital hard drive. I did try running various malware scans including Ad-Aware, Spybot and Malware Bytes. Those only found cookies, and very few. I've run anti-virus scans as well, using Panda and Symantec End Point. (Symantec definitely NOT by choice.) I only have one monitor and keyboard/mouse set, so switching between my two towers is an immense pain in the arse. And then the BSOD doesn't stay up long enough for me to copy the errors. The only thing I really can get is it suggests a hardware/software problem. Yeah, okay, so what else is there? On another note, I can only get the computer to start in Safe Mode, so I don't know if I can run that suggested advanced memory test or not...Thanks in advance.

Edited by NoComputerFan, 26 August 2009 - 10:27 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,331 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2009 - 01:57 PM

Hi I split this to it's own topic,always better. Someone will be along.
What is your Operating system as we may want to move this there?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 26 August 2009 - 02:33 PM

FWIW: There is no one set of causes for BSODs, it's not that easy when you are dealing with something as sophisticated as a computer system.

Here is an excellent summary of some (not all) common BSOD situations: http://www.aumha.org/a/stop.htm

Message specifics are important in that they at least provide a start point in trying to resolve what's wrong.

Since you can boot into XP, you need to increase the chances of getting a readable message by following thse instructions, How To Disable Automatic Restarts When Windows Crashes - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/74644/how-to-disable-automatic-restarts-when-windows-crashes/

You can also attempt to follow the procedures outlined at Help Diagnosing BSODs And Crashes (BC) - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176011/how-to-receive-help-diagnosing-blue-screens-and-windows-crashes/

Louis

#4 NoComputerFan

NoComputerFan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2009 - 04:55 PM

I'm using Windows Vista 32 bit.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 28 August 2009 - 05:13 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Boot into safe mode.

Then follow the guidance: How To Disable Automatic Restarts When Windows Crashes - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/74644/how-to-disable-automatic-restarts-when-windows-crashes/

This will give you an opportunity to read the content of the BSOD screen. Post that in your next post.

I see that you have Vista...I'm not sure if this will be moved to the Vista forum. In either case, please post the content of the BSOD in your next post.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users