Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop jams up after a few minutes

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jackarius

Jackarius

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 26 August 2009 - 01:13 PM

Hi, i've got an Acer Aspire 5920 and i currently have Windows Vista on it, but i'm i've been having some trouble lately. I couple of nights ago i tried installing a game (Warhammer online) and once finished it had to download a patch which was a couple of GB's in size, i got to about 90% and was too tired to wait for the last 20 minutes so i shut down my computer for the night. The next morning i was having some trouble, i turned on my laptop and it was doing the update thing what sometimes happens just after the loading bar finished, and it was stuck on '1/3' for about 15 minutes, so i turned off my laptop and opened it in safe mode. After it succesfully working i shut down and restarted in the normal mode, but then i started having problems.

I got to my main screen, got all the usual pop-ups, MSN messenger and whatnot, and i tried to finish patching my game, and after doing only about 20mb it stopped, and i tried opening firefox, nothing happened, my mouse turned into the little blue circle like it does when its loading, and i couldn't even bring my start menu up so i had to shut down (holding the off button for 5 seconds) i tried again, it did a little bit more of the patch and the same thing happened. When it finally finished after a couple more tried i thought it might be fixed but no, i only get about 2-3 minutes on the internet before it jams, nothing will open or close and my mouse turns into the blue circle, then the screen glazes over like it does in the seconds between a programme not responding and the 'close now' icon. But it doesn't 'unglaze' (if that's a word) and i had to turn it off again by holding the off button.

Now when i turn on my laptop it loads up, as normal, pop-ups but as soon as i try to click firefox it jams, and a minute or so later, it glazes over. I'm out of ideas and writing this on my desktop computer, what can i do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ndg2006

ndg2006

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 26 August 2009 - 04:56 PM

It's probably best to perform a system restore to before you installed your game. Installing any software, including patches, makes changes to the game directory and your system directory which probably caused some kind of corruption. System restore typically fixes this kind of a problem.

#3 Jackarius

Jackarius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 26 August 2009 - 05:08 PM

I didn't have any back-ups because my laptop had been wiped as it was broken only a few weeks before :huh: i uninstalled the game to see if anything had changed and no, it's still the same. The problem is i can't go online to get a scanner of some kind because my laptop jams as soon as i try and open the internet.

it also won't work right in safe mode and im a bit confused because i've never had problems with the game before.

Edited by Jackarius, 26 August 2009 - 05:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users