Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer issue again

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ctcomputer

ctcomputer

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 26 August 2009 - 01:03 PM

I went to Logic Tech website. In doing so a screen saver popped up. I closed it. Well now I can't run my anti virus program, it won't allow me to run the Malaware program. It won't even allow me to turn off my computer. It keeps telling me that Windows won't allow me to excute the closing of my computer.
Please be patient as I am not reciving e-mails from your web site.
The error message reads Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. you may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.
Thank You

Edited by ctcomputer, 26 August 2009 - 01:25 PM.

HP Pavillion 533w, Intel Celeron 2.0 GHZ, 1 GIG DDR RAM, ASUS MOTHER BOARD, 80 GIG IDE HARD DRIVE, INTEL 82845G Graphics ,2002 windows xp Home SP2, ATT yahoo Browser and EMAIL, AVG 8.5 anitvirus, Malwarebytes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 26 August 2009 - 05:44 PM

We Need to check for Rootkits with RootRepeal
  • Download RootRepeal from the following location and save it to your desktop.
  • Extract RootRepeal.exe from the archive (If you did not use the "Direct Download" mirror).
  • Open Posted Image on your desktop.
  • Click the Posted Image tab.
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • Check all seven boxes: Posted Image
  • Push Ok
  • Check the box for your main system drive (Usually C:), and press Ok.
  • Allow RootRepeal to run a scan of your system. This may take some time.
  • Once the scan completes, push the Posted Image button. Save the log to your desktop, using a distinctive name, such as RootRepeal.txt. Include this report in your next reply, please.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 ctcomputer

ctcomputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2009 - 08:34 PM

ok the root repeal for some reason just absolutely will not run on this system it either doesnt get by the iniatilize screen or i get the blue screen that says the windows has encountered a serious problem

any way I would like to run something else just to double check but i think igot it fixed. I think it was the comodo firewall pro, for some reason one of the settings changed in the proactive defence part of it and it wouldnt let anythign run as soon as i disabled it walla no more problem
thanks for the help i really do appreciate it

kevin
HP Pavillion 533w, Intel Celeron 2.0 GHZ, 1 GIG DDR RAM, ASUS MOTHER BOARD, 80 GIG IDE HARD DRIVE, INTEL 82845G Graphics ,2002 windows xp Home SP2, ATT yahoo Browser and EMAIL, AVG 8.5 anitvirus, Malwarebytes

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2009 - 08:35 PM

Try running Malwarebytes as a double-check.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 ctcomputer

ctcomputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2009 - 08:44 AM

Ran Malwarebytes and it found nothing. Can you recommend a firewall so this issue doesn't arise again.
Thank You.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2009 - 04:00 PM

Check the section on Firewalls here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users