Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't connect to wireless internet, ipconfig shows no default gateway

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bubbles19518

bubbles19518

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 26 August 2009 - 12:38 PM

Hey,

My internet worked at home and I came to college and am unable to connect to the wireless interent. I poked around a while and realized that my computer was attempting to use a static IP, I removed that but still cant connect. ipconfig shows no default gateway.

Anyone have any idea?

Thanks,
John
-Bubbles
http://hugelaughs.com - Funny Jokes & Pictures

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2009 - 12:43 PM

That is something you may need to speak to your Campus IT Dept. about.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2009 - 01:31 PM

Did you run the Network Connection Wizard on your system...citing "residential gateway" as your primary connection?

The school normally provides instructions to students on the steps necessary to connect properly.

Louis

#4 bubbles19518

bubbles19518
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2009 - 05:50 PM

Its not school internet, I'm in an apartment, the internet is comcast just like at home.
-Bubbles

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2009 - 06:15 PM

Then...Comcast should have provided some instructions.

You didn't answer the question about the Connection Wizard.

Louis

#6 bubbles19518

bubbles19518
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2009 - 09:03 PM

Yeah the connection network didn't work.

I guess I should rephrase my connection. What are possible causes for a default gateway not automatically being set?
-Bubbles

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2009 - 09:14 PM

Did you enable obtain DNS server automatically?

Are you using a WAP or wireless capable router?
Make and model?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2009 - 09:07 AM

No network is set up automatically...the user must run the connection wizard or manually configure the setup properly.

The default gateway/residential gateway is the router/modem employed (hopefully, there is a router).

But if the system/router/modem/cable configuration is not done properly...a user may experience the frustration that you now experience.

Someone around you must have have their system configured properly and working as it should. I think I'd take a look at their setup and ask for some assistance.

Louis

#9 Remnis

Remnis

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2009 - 08:56 AM

Unfortunately, it looks like I'm about a month late to this post, but perhaps it can be useful for the sake of posterity. What everyone here seemed to miss is that if an IP number has been assigned with the TCP/IP protocol set to automatic, and Default Gateway is blank under "ipconfig", then something other than cabling or DNS configuration is amiss. I have been working for a client on a PC that was heavily infected with malware. After removing the malware and successfully connecting the PC to my workshop network, I was surprised to find that the same behavior was exhibited when the PC was returned to its native network. (i.e. IP number was assigned by the router, though it was of an improper class and subnet, Default Gateway was not registered, and the router could not be accessed via telnet). There appears to be a new class of router-oriented malware making the rounds, and the "experts" need to be advised. Check this out: http://cyberinsecure.com/new-zlob-trojan-v...nd-hijacks-dns/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users