Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't change folders from gray to normal

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 niels103

niels103

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 26 August 2009 - 11:10 AM

Hi Everybody,

For some time now I am trying to solve my problem due to a virus. The virus and malware are deleted properly with help from SifuMike on the HijackThis Log Forum of this site. see --> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...p;#entry1370895

The effect of the virus was that all my files on C:\, D:, and J: directories disappeared.

The virus at first copied all my folder names with the subscription 'Microsoft Corporation', when I clicked a folder named like that it open in a new explore screen, which seems to be empty.

Then, after removal of the virus, we made my hidden folders visible with ComboFix. So I could see all my folders, but they were in gray. Opening them still resulted in a empty explorer screen. Only if I browsed through my maps, on the left side of the explorer screen, I could see them all.

Now, after removal I can't see my 'gray folders' anymore. Only the folders which I gave the command in MS-DOS attrib -s -r -a -h D:\. But opening the folders by explorer results still in a empty explore search screen.

I can't even access my folders and files from Winamp or Notepad.

Can someone please help me?

Niels

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,232 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 26 August 2009 - 11:39 AM

SifuMike did not suggest that you reinstall XP after all this?

Louis

#3 niels103

niels103
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 27 August 2009 - 02:13 AM

He did, but he thought there was a easier way to do this.

I let XP restore itself, so without formatting my C:\ directory. My problem of opening a folder that result in a search screen is solved.

After this I downloaded Beyond Compare 3.0, with this program it was possible to change al my attributes at once, so problem solved!!!

However, when I start up my computer, it gives me the option to start Windows XP 'normally' or in a 'Boot ???'. When I choose 'normally' after starting up Windows, I get 2 pop-ups from notepad, with two lines of text in it. I'm currently at work, so not be able to post my Notepad text.
I hope someone here can help me, or do I have to start a new topic?

Greetz,

Niels

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users