Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

repeated explorer error messages

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 divie

divie

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 20 July 2005 - 05:35 AM

k now this one has me stumped upon startup when promted for password i get in the background a blue screen with the following

A fatal error in IE has occured at 0028:C0011E36 in VXD VMM(01)+000I0E36. error was caused by trojan-spy.html.smitfraud.c

When i enter my password it takes me trhough the windows startup but when the system is ready i get the message:
Explorer
this program has performed an illegal operation and will be closed

this message repeatedly reappears after closing and the system will not allow me to do anything other than close the error window before replacing it with another. I had recently installed spybot and addaware, but have noticed that antivirus gold and psguard as well as several dialer icons have appeared on my desktop, i have found comprehensive instrucitons for removing these but without control of my desktop can do little except stare vacantly into space pls help!
My operating system is win 98

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 20 July 2005 - 11:33 AM

HI ok take off spybolt and ad aware and uninstall the gold thing get free from the web avast antivirus run it following instructions it will remove every bit od virus you have. once you have run it reg it again free they will send via e mail a key no for you to put in this one is updated every night.

That should work. if it does not then might need a clean install.
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#3 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 20 July 2005 - 11:37 AM

edit have you got a windows disc looks like after looking at your post again a install or why not get a xp disk and run a lot safer and it has builin firewall.
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2005 - 12:19 PM

Hi divie and welcome to BC.

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode? If you can try running Spybot and Ad-Aware there. See How to start Windows in Safe Mode.

If that lets you get into Normal Mode try running HiJack This and submitting a log for our team to review. See How to submit a Hijackthis Log.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 20 July 2005 - 02:36 PM

HI ok take off spybolt and ad aware and uninstall the gold thing

How do you justify removing Adaware and Spybot? What does that gain you? And you can't just uninstall that "Gold Thing"... that is a smitfraud infection, and you don't just uninstall it. There is a fix for it in the self help reading room though.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/How...old-t22397.html

It's pretty self explanatory, but you might still want to have one of our staff look at your system to make sure that nothing else is lurking about.

once you have run it reg it again free they will send via e mail a key no for you to put in this one is updated every night.

What the hell is that? Is that like 4 sentences?

thedon57, I'd really appreciate you not giving advice when it is clear you don't have a clue what you are talking about. There is almost never a reason to reformat. And if you are going to give advice, I don't know, use sentences maybe? And make sure you know what you are talking about.

Thanks.

#6 divie

divie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2005 - 04:59 AM

Hey guys thx for the reply's been away so just got back to the problem, the main issue is that as soon as i get to windows (even in safe mode) i encounter the error messages which prevent me from doing anything unless i'm quick at the beginning where i can startup a prg which will then run as normal albeit i have to click the error message sometimes to get a new screen to show. I have tried running spybot and ad aware by doing this but i can never run both without a restart as the error messages overide everything again. Upon repeated runs of spybot and adaware i find the same threats as before.
As i recall these messages started after i first ran spybot/adaware to get rid of the problem, could one of these tools have removed a vital explorer file by mistake or due to infection?

#7 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 27 July 2005 - 06:57 PM

IT is possible that you somehow picked up bube, which essentially injects itself into explorer.exe. Anti-virus software can't handle it properly, and tries to clean the infection, and damages explorer.exe. I'm not sure that is the problem here. Can you boot into a command prompt?

There is a reg file that may temporarily fix things long enough to get some diagnostics going, but it probably wouldn't last very long. It might be worth a try though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users