Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New video card not working?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ZlobIsFun

ZlobIsFun

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 26 August 2009 - 01:45 AM

So just recently my old computer died. Literally.

Anyway, I got a new computer, I'm sort of on a budget so I bought some cheap 150 dollar computer.

1GB RAM, 2.80GHz processor, basic computer.

It came with an intel onboard video card, which is obviously worthless. So, I bought a video card myself.
Seeing as this computer only has PCI slots, I bought a PCI video card. It arrived a week ago. I've been busy so I decided to set it up at a later time.

So anyway, I unplugged my computer, opened it up, and popped the video card into a PCI slot.

I booted the computer up and put in the CD.

I tried to install the drivers but it said that it couldn't find anything that required the drivers.

So, I restarted the computer and went into bios, I made it boot up from PCI instead of onboard. Saved the settings and plugged in my monitor to the video card's VGA output.

Restarted the computer, blah blah, went through the Nvidia bios and then the intel. Blaahhhh.

I installed the drivers, well tried to. As I went through the setup, I ran into an error during the ' Installing required drivers ' portion of the installation.

Everything froze and then the screen turned off, then it went black. ( Meaning the light had kicked it, black being grey. )

At the top left it showed the ' _ ' symbol blinking. I waited a few minutes, and then the computer restarted. I thought this was normal, but instead, the drivers weren't installed?!

Okay so this is where it gets weird.

I boot up off the onboard video this time, and open up DXdiag with the video card still in the computer. It showed Display one and Display 2.

In display 2 it read the video card ( Sparkle Geforce 9400 512 MB ) and Display 1 it read the Intel onboard video card.

!??

Well, I right click my desktop ( I have Windows XP Home Edition. ) and click properties. I go to settings and see the casual display " 1 and 2 " screens. Which I click the second it shows Sparkle GeForce 9400 GT as the second display screen. Obviously it has the options to ' Extend your monitor across this display ' or whatever, and ' Make this my primary display device '. I can access the nvidia nview desktop manager when booted up on my onboard display. But I can't when I'm booted up from the GeForce 9400.

When I'm running on the 9400 and I open DXDIAG, it shows display 1 and 2.

1 being " ---- " and the driver being ' VGA.SYS ' ; Meaning the driver's not installed.

2 being the intel onboard.

I don't know what the problem is.
I did my research, my computer does infact meet the requirements of the video card.
Can somebody please help me?

( I can provide screen shots if honestly needed. )

Edited by ZlobIsFun, 26 August 2009 - 01:47 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 26 August 2009 - 11:46 AM

I don't see where you mentioned that you disabled the onboard video in the BIOS...before attempting to use the PCI card.

Louis

#3 ZlobIsFun

ZlobIsFun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 26 August 2009 - 02:58 PM

I don't see where you mentioned that you disabled the onboard video in the BIOS...before attempting to use the PCI card.

Louis

-----
So, I restarted the computer and went into bios, I made it boot up from PCI instead of onboard. Saved the settings and plugged in my monitor to the video card's VGA output.
-----

It only gives me the option to use onboard or PCI as the primary display device in bios.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users