Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I think this is a windows issue??

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 joyk

joyk

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 25 August 2009 - 11:28 PM

Ive done quite a bit of researching & reading but Im not certain I have my answer. Ive found a a couple problems discussed on the net and that are similar but not quite the same as what I am experiencing.

I have a lenovo thinkpad r61i. Using Xp Pro. I'm using it - all happy and sweet - usually on the internet, and logged into facebook and maybe a couple other sites- typical use for me. I have battery installed and plugged in most of the time. I unplugged it so i could move to a different room When I got there the screen was black but i could tell it wasnt just in sleep or screen saver mode. It was also not shut down. I couldnt do anything to revive it - and had to hold power button down to get it to shut down. I removed & reattached power cord and battery and had to try a few times to restart.. Upon powering up it would begin as usual with the dvd rom spinning for a second, and the usual LCD lights coming on. Then i'd hear a little sad fading beep and it would go back to the black screen before I'd ever get the startup screen. I wiggled things around, powered up and down - etc.. and eventually it worked again. This has done this a half dozen times to me now over the last few days & I havent found anything more specific causing the problem, and have no idea what makes everything work again.

I read something similar, but this described only on startup - windows wasnt booting. This one said nothing of the sudden crash or whatever you'd call it. Resolutions inlcuded removing media from drives, reinstalling windows, or repairing boot sector, boot record or hte NTLDR file.

Another i read described the crash in a very similar way, but upon restarting everything worked fine. This one was resolved with a new video card.

I'm not sure either of these is my problem so I am hesitant to try those soultions. Im not an expert, but i can usually fumble my way through most computer tasks as long as i have instructions.

Is it possible something is loose inside and I just need to tighten it? Or should I be looking to replace something? Could a virus be causing this? I run checks every day using Spybot & AVG

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have for me!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 joyk

joyk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 26 August 2009 - 05:16 PM

Ok i noticed there is something loose inside there when i tilt it back and forth. sounds like it is underneath the upper left part of my keyboard. Ive also done some reading and decided to clean my fan and intake duct. It doesnt feel hot, but i dont ever hear my fan running unless its real quiet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users