Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Factory Restore - Wont

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 J Francis

J Francis

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 25 August 2009 - 11:21 PM

I have a Gateway :-( FX541X. With Vista Home Premium. Recently it stopped being able to access the Internet. I talked with several people and nn one could come up with an answer. A tech said I should do a "factory restore" using the factory supplied disks or the factory restore partition. So I did. I had trouble getting the restore program to run, Finally it did and said the system had been restored - Press OK to reboot. That all went well until the system started setting up windows. It went along fine for about 3 minutes and then just quit. No error messages, nothing, nada, zip... So I tried it again, and again and again. Same problem each time. In goes fine for about 3 minutes and just stops. At one time or maybe a couple of times I had got a message that there was a problem with windows startup. But I have not seeen that error the last time or two that I have run the restore program...

Someone said that I might have a problem with one of the registry keys. I know zip about registry keys. I do use a registry cleaner program from time to time. And thinking back I believe the last time I ran it was when the internet thing started happening. Not sure about that though. However everything else was working fine except for being able to connect to the internet. Now that I have done this system restore thing, I am dead in the water.

Any of you good folks out there have any input for me?

Thanks,

J Francis

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MishY

MishY

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 26 August 2009 - 12:12 PM

Have you disconnected all external hardware like printer, modem, etc. before doing the restore?

#3 J Francis

J Francis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 26 August 2009 - 12:54 PM

No, I have the printer and modem still connected. I'll disconnect those and see if that helps.

Thanks for the reply

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users