Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDMI connection to monitor gives blue screen

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 scons

scons

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 25 August 2009 - 10:24 PM

PC = Gateway SX2800-01
(http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529668287.php)
Processor = Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor3 Q8200 (2.33GHz, 1333MHz FSB, 4MB L2 cache)
OS = Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium (64-bit) with SP1
Memory = 4096MB 800MHz DDR3 Memory (2 x 2048MB Modules)9
Motherboard = Systemboard with Intel® G43 Chipset + ICH10
Video = Integrated Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X4500 (VGA,HDMI)
Video Driver = v. 7.15.10.1829 (upgraded from factory install 7.15.10.1666)
Monitor = Asus VW246H. VGA,HDMI,DVI. HDCP
(http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=zMRyN4KB5o5rSqKr&content=specifications)

I have a brand new Gateway SX2800-01. Using with an Asus VW246H(vista plug & play) monitor (also new). When I make VGA connection to monitor - it works fine. When I try to use the HDMI connection - all I get is a blue screen. I tried upgrading the Intel x4500 graphics driver from factory installed v. 7.15.10.1666 to v. 7.15.10.1829, but I see the same result.

Please help! Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ndg2006

ndg2006

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 26 August 2009 - 01:50 PM

I'm assuming that you have switched the monitor inputs when you plug in the wire?

Also, if you haven't tried it, try power cycling the system (monitor and computer) once the cables are plugged in.

#3 scons

scons
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2009 - 01:59 PM

Thanks for the reply ngd,

Yep I did switch monitor inputs "HDMI" appears on screen when I see the blue screen. I cannot attach both the VGA cable and the HDMI cable to the (mini)-PC at the same time, because the ports are too close together.

But I did power off the PC > connect the HDMI cable > power on > HDMI monitor input gives blue screen.

I can then "hot switch" to the VGA cable on the PC > change to VGA monitor input > it works.

I did not power cycle the monitor though - I'll try that.

#4 scons

scons
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2009 - 09:28 PM

OK. I tried powering off both PC and monitor. But still get the HDMI blue screen. The HDMI monitor setting has a blue screen and monitor message says "HDMI NO SIGNAL". But something is connected as it makes the screen blue. When the HDMI cable is not connected the screen is black (as expected).

Do you think the problem is with my PC(graphics) or the monitor? (I currently don't have another HDMI source on hand to test out cable and monitor)

I noticed on Asus spec webpage:
Input / Output PC Input: DVI-D/D-Sub
PC Audio Input: 3.5mm Mini-jack
Video Input: HDMI
AV Audio Input: HDMI
Earphone jack: 3.5mm Mini-jack

What does "Video Input" vs. "PC Input" on the spec mean. Other people on the forums have used this monitor with HDMI, so I assume PC Input is PC only, and Video Input is PC or video player or whatever other HDMI source.

#5 scons

scons
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2009 - 10:01 PM

OK - Latest update. I did find another HDMI source (thank you Roku box). Hooked up same cable and monitor - worked with Roku box right away. So monitor and cable are good

Another tidbit ... When I reconnected monitor and powered up with HDMI cable and HDMI monitor input selected, I saw Vista status bar on start up - but screen went blue again before Windows icon appeared. (I had never noticed before as I was always switching from VGA display setting during startup and never noticed).

Does anyone use a Intel x4500 integrated graphics card with HDMI? What version of the driver do you have? (right click Desktop > Grpahocs Properties > i info icon top right corner > Driver version)

Thanks.

#6 scons

scons
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2009 - 12:57 AM

arrgh! I think they make me go crazy!!!! :thumbsup:

OK, so here the deal. Hooked monitor back to Roku box for sanity - loaded up a movie - video and sound worked no problem.

Now back to the PC > hook everything up > power on > HDMI video input magically works works this time (why, when it is the same process I have done before - no idea) - yeah! > Sound does not not - booo! > But all in all still pretty happy that hdmi video is working > reboot to make sure > back to Blue Screen, no HDMI INPUT - arrrgh!

It's like the Roku box correctly configures the monitor for hdmi - then when I connect the PC it connects > but on reboot it loses config and reverts back to blue screen. Does that make any sense?

#7 scons

scons
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2009 - 02:40 PM

Weirdness. Like I said before the Asus worked with the HDMI connection on my Roku video streamer box - so I didn't think it was the monitor.

Ended up getting a exchange on the Gateway SX2800 - thinking I had a lemon graphics card. New SX2800 had the same issue - blue screen.

Out of frustration, ended up trying out a brand new Samsung 2494HM and a brand new Viewsonic somethin-or-other. Both worked immediately with the HDMI connection!!! Plug and play!!!

Sent the Asus back - very annoying - who knows what the issue is. Kept the Samsung, looked better than Viewsonic - it also has a switch to correct for HDMI overscan(desktop extending past the screen), since the intel x4500 does not have any corrections for that. Hope this helps somebody.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users