Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Locks up! - Help please

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Peter007

Peter007

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 25 August 2009 - 09:35 PM

So I have this problem with my nice computer I build last October. This problem started happening right away. So anyway the deal is that at random points my computer completely locks itself up. So I have to restart the computer by pushing the restart button in.. I believe this mainly only happens when I am doing something with the internet in some way.. For instance this locks up often when I try to log into my World of Warcraft account. Right when it finishes loading the character, the computer immediately locks up. This had also happened while in random places online such as right after logging into trillian, the instant messaging program. The computer tends to also lock up sometimes if I am trying to download something from a legal website such as EVGA (drivers). In my honest opinion I think it is something in my internet connection.. I use wireless internet which I despise. And I can also confirm that this is not a virus or spyware. This happened day 1 when I started going online on this computer. I would like to know exactly what is going on here. This is very aggravating. I thought maybe you guys could help me out. Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,241 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 26 August 2009 - 11:43 AM

A problem from Day 1...and you did not consider the possibility of a hardware problem?

Related error messages in Event Viewer?

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 26 August 2009 - 12:43 PM

It might help if you were to list your specs, motherboard, processor, RAM...

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Peter007

Peter007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2009 - 07:55 PM

Ok so I think I resolved it to be honest... lol. I just talked to a computer technician which is a friend of mine. We used CrossLoop so he could get into my computer. He instantly detected a problem in the device manager. It was basically an important driver for my motherboard I forgot to install or didn't know about when I first built this... How dumb am I. lol So we installed it and it was a success! The necessary drivers for the motherboard are in place! This driver basically tells every piece of hardware what to do. Here is the link of the driver. It is the download under Chipset. Click

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,241 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 26 August 2009 - 08:29 PM

Looks like it may be the SM Bus controller, something which gives some users problems (failure to install). In any case, glad you solved it and happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

#6 Peter007

Peter007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2009 - 09:37 PM

YES! That was it! It was the SM Bus Controller! You got it man! lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users