Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Old Dell pc wil NOT recognize hard drive or DVD drive.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sega Dude

Sega Dude

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 25 August 2009 - 04:17 PM

Ive had an old Dell Dimension 4300s laying around not being used. I wanted to make a media server out of it but it will NOT recognize the hard drive or DVD drive. The busy light on the DVD drive lights but it wont boot from CD. The hard drive activity light doesn't light. When it trys to boot after about 30 seconds of the little flashing line it beeps twice and says: No boot device available. If I go into the bois it says the CD drive and hard drive are not installed. This is not the case. Please help I really really want to make my media server!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 25 August 2009 - 04:22 PM

Being "old", I will assume that these are not SATA drives.

Check your jumper settings on the back of each drive.

Also check how you have the data cables connected.

Is each drive on it`s own cable?
If so the jumper should be set as Master on both.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2009 - 04:58 PM

Did you install a new CMOS battery?

I have no idea what "old" means but I do know that batteries lose their ability to function effectively over a period of years.

CMOS Battery Replacement - http://www.liverepair.com/encyclopedia/art...cmosreplace.asp

This might be handy sometime, http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...ecs.htm#1101572

Louis

#4 Sega Dude

Sega Dude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2009 - 09:44 PM

I put the hard drive jumper on master and still no avail. I disconnected the data and power cables then plugged them back in and nothing.

Edit: I removed the jumper completely making it slave. At least it seems to recognize the hard drive now. Could it be the fact that im not useing the jumper that came with the drive?

Edited by Sega Dude, 25 August 2009 - 09:51 PM.

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2009 - 06:31 AM

The jumpers are pretty much universal. I have heard of them getting a bit "tweaked" to where they no longer made proper contact.

I hope you are doing all this with the PC turned off. :thumbsup:

#6 Sega Dude

Sega Dude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2009 - 04:31 PM

The jumpers are pretty much universal. I have heard of them getting a bit "tweaked" to where they no longer made proper contact.

I hope you are doing all this with the PC turned off. :thumbsup:

Of course I was. I had my Dad pick up brand new jumpers. Still nothing... I just don't get it. It only recognizes the DVD and hard drive if there set slave! Im beginning to this its beyond repair...

Edit: I updated to the latest bios and now I'm one step closer. It now recognizes the DVD drive. I get a new error now too. It says: primary hard disk drive 0 not found. It shows up as an unknown device in the BIOS.

Edited by Sega Dude, 26 August 2009 - 05:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users