Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Antivirus Pro Bleeped up My Computer

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 drphilosopher

drphilosopher

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 25 August 2009 - 03:38 PM

Hi Folks,

I'm not sure I still have a virus, but my computer is a mess. Critical processes keep crashing with apparent memory errors. I don't think they're really memory errors because the computer wasn't having memory problems before and passes a surface scan test, but even the task manager crashes.

Let me back up. My high school age son saw a message on facebook, I believe, that said that our computer was infected, so he downloaded and ran Windows Antivirus Pro -- not sure which version any more. Big mistake!

When I realized what he had done, I started trying to figure out how to remove the infection, but all of the websites offering solutions were "unavailable" or "no longer existed." That's when I knew I was in trouble. Shortly thereafter, the computer went down by itself. I blocked the reboot temporarily while I used another computer to try to gather information on what to do. Unfortunately, I didn't know about this site at the time.

Later, I tried to boot the machine, but, although it initially booted up completely, it kept going down. Eventually, I managed to get into recovery mode and reinstall the OS. Unfortunately, that didn't solve the problem. I was able to boot up the computer and log in as Compaq Administrator, but processes kept crashing -- key processes like the login process and the task manager.

Fortunately, I was able to back up all of the user data and shared pictures -- including about 18 months of family photos that I had failed to back up earlier -- onto CD's.

I was also able to install AVG. I used it to do a complete scan and it found and claims that it removed Windows Antivirus Pro. It also said that it found a few obscure Trojan Horses that I couldn't find any information on and removed them too.

I was hoping that that would be the end of my problems, but it wasn't. Several key processes continue to crash. In order to use the one existing account, I have to start the task manager using ctrl-alt-del, set aside the error message window without closing it, run another task manager using ctrl-alt-del again, click on "new task" and type "explorer" in order to get an explorer bar at the bottom of the screen. I was able to install a wireless adapter driver and temporarily connect to the internet, but that functionality has gone away again. I could run a cable to my dsl modem if anyone thinks that is useful.

Anyway, I'm about at my wits end. I've backed up everything and verified the backup disks. So, I'm about ready to reformat the hard disk and start over from scratch unless someone has a more benign suggestion.

Any info is appreciated.

Darrell

Edit: The machine in question is running Windows XP. I'm a thousand miles away right now, so if you need more details, I'll get them for you as soon as I can.

Edited by drphilosopher, 25 August 2009 - 03:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_superbird_*

Guest_superbird_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 August 2009 - 04:25 AM

Hi,

Let's try something. :thumbsup:

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2

MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the definition updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
  • Exit MBAM when done.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so MBAM can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

#3 drphilosopher

drphilosopher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2009 - 11:00 PM

Hi Superbird,

I followed your instructions. Actually, I ran Malwarebytes from a CD because I was having trouble with the internet connection on that computer. Malwarebytes found some pretty nasty sounding stuff which it successfully quarantined and deleted including rootkits, trojans, and password stealers. It asked me to reboot the computer, but I haven't done so yet. Do you think I should do anything else before trying to use the computer?

Thanks.

The contents of the log file follow:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.40
Database version: 2714
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

8/29/2009 9:42:39 PM
mbam-log-2009-08-29 (21-42-39).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 194235
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 0 minute(s), 53 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 2
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 4
Registry Values Infected: 4
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 53
Files Infected: 112

Memory Processes Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\reader_s.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Unloaded process successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Administrator\reader_s.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Unloaded process successfully.

Memory Modules Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\protect (Rootkit.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Services\protect (Rootkit.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\protect (Rootkit.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\AGprotect (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\reader_s (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\reader_s (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\reader_s (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\Regedit32 (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Starware347 (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Starware347\buttons (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Starware347\contexts (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Starware347\EntertainmentMarketingSP (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Starware347\EntertainmentMarketingSP\images (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Starware347\EntertainmentMarketingSP\images\active (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Starware347\EntertainmentMarketingSP\images\default (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Starware347\Games (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Starware347\Games\images (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Starware347\Games\images\active (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Starware347\Games\images\default (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Starware347\Movies (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Starware347\Movies\images (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Starware347\Movies\images\active (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Starware347\Movies\images\default (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Starware347\ScreensaversMarketingSitePager (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Starware347\ScreensaversMarketingSitePager\images (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Starware347\ScreensaversMarketingSitePager\images\active (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Starware347\ScreensaversMarketingSitePager\images\default (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Starware347\SimpleUpdate (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Conrad\Application Data\Starware347 (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Conrad\Application Data\Starware347\EntertainmentMarketingSP (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Conrad\Application Data\Starware347\Games (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Conrad\Application Data\Starware347\JokeSearch (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Conrad\Application Data\Starware347\Movies (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Conrad\Application Data\Starware347\Pranks (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Conrad\Application Data\Starware347\ScreensaversMarketingSitePager (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Darrell\Application Data\Starware347 (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Darrell\Application Data\Starware347\EntertainmentMarketingSP (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Darrell\Application Data\Starware347\Games (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Darrell\Application Data\Starware347\JokeSearch (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Darrell\Application Data\Starware347\Movies (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Darrell\Application Data\Starware347\Pranks (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Darrell\Application Data\Starware347\ScreensaversMarketingSitePager (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Jing\Application Data\Starware347 (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Jing\Application Data\Starware347\EntertainmentMarketingSP (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Jing\Application Data\Starware347\EntertainmentMarketingSP\images (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Jing\Application Data\Starware347\EntertainmentMarketingSP\images\active (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Jing\Application Data\Starware347\EntertainmentMarketingSP\images\default (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Jing\Application Data\Starware347\Games (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Jing\Application Data\Starware347\Games\images (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Jing\Application Data\Starware347\Games\images\active (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Jing\Application Data\Starware347\Games\images\default (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Jing\Application Data\Starware347\JokeSearch (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Jing\Application Data\Starware347\Movies (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Jing\Application Data\Starware347\Movies\images (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Jing\Application Data\Starware347\Movies\images\active (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Jing\Application Data\Starware347\Movies\images\default (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Jing\Application Data\Starware347\Pranks (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Jing\Application Data\Starware347\ScreensaversMarketingSitePager (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Jing\Application Data\Starware347\ScreensaversMarketingSitePager\images (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Jing\Application Data\Starware347\ScreensaversMarketingSitePager\images\active (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Jing\Application Data\Starware347\ScreensaversMarketingSitePager\images\default (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Files Infected:
C:\fdvjfx.exe (Trojan.Downloader) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\gklrwl.exe (Trojan.Dropper) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\A5.tmp (Spyware.Festeal) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\protect.sys (Rootkit.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\Temp\167856484.exe (Trojan.Dropper) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\Temp\eypfy.exe (Trojan.Downloader) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\Temp\winamp.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Kendrick\Local Settings\Temp\zjhufhdfe.exe (Trojan.Ertfor) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Kendrick\Local Settings\Temp\_A00FF62DD1F.exe (Trojan.Clopack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Kendrick\Local Settings\Temp\258231828552mxx.dll (Spyware.OnlineGames) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Kendrick\Local Settings\Temp\2773259826.exe (Trojan.Dropper) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Kendrick\Local Settings\Temp\dailybucks_install.exe (Rogue.SystemSecurity) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Kendrick\Local Settings\Temp\db.exe (Trojan.Dropper) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Kendrick\Local Settings\Temp\win.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Kendrick\Local Settings\Temp\winamp.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Kendrick\Local Settings\Temp\~TM401.tmp (Worm.KoobFace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Kendrick\Local Settings\Temp\dyqdx2vzk.exe (Rogue.AntiVirusBest) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Kendrick\Local Settings\Temp\install.48349.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Kendrick\Local Settings\Temp\services.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Kendrick\Local Settings\Temp\smss.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Kendrick\Local Settings\Temp\spoolsv.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Kendrick\Local Settings\Temp\taskmgr.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Kendrick\Local Settings\Temp\2899855030.exe (Trojan.Dropper) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Kendrick\Local Settings\Temp\3092947326.exe (Trojan.Dropper) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Kendrick\Local Settings\Temp\prjtd3363sggir46swsejsr32w44.exe (Spyware.Passwords) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Kendrick\Local Settings\Temp\prjtd3363sggir46swsejsr32w46.exe (Trojan.Downloader) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Administrator\Compaq_Administrator.exe (Backdoor.HareBot) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Administrator\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\MJX2IVXX\lo[1].htm (Backdoor.HareBot) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Administrator\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\QVSKPURB\mal[1].htm (Spyware.Festeal) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\ODE7CHIR\w[1].bin (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\sysguard.exe (Trojan.Dropper) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\pp10.exe (Worm.Koobface) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\Fonts\cooecp.tlb (Spyware.Passwords) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\Fonts\windef.dll (Spyware.Passwords) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\Fonts\windef.Log (Spyware.Passwords) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\Fonts\winpaged.ocx (Spyware.Passwords) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\Fonts\logcde.dll (Spyware.Passwords) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Starware347\buttons\FindIt.bmp (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Starware347\buttons\FindItHot.bmp (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Starware347\buttons\findithotxp.png (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Starware347\buttons\finditxp.png (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Starware347\buttons\Highlight.bmp (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Starware347\buttons\HighlightHot.bmp (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Starware347\buttons\highlighthotxp.png (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Starware347\buttons\highlightxp.png (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Starware347\buttons\jokesearch.bmp (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Starware347\buttons\logo.bmp (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Starware347\buttons\logoxp.bmp (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Starware347\buttons\pranks.bmp (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Starware347\buttons\starware_toolbar_icon.bmp (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Starware347\contexts\error.xml (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Starware347\contexts\related.xml (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Starware347\contexts\Travel.xml (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Starware347\EntertainmentMarketingSP\images\active\EntertainmentMarketingSP0.bmp (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Starware347\Games\images\active\Games0.bmp (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Starware347\Movies\images\active\Movies0.bmp (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Starware347\ScreensaversMarketingSitePager\images\active\ScreensaversMarketingSitePager0.bmp (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Starware347\SimpleUpdate\ProductMessagingConfig.xml (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Starware347\SimpleUpdate\ProductMessagingConfig.xml.backup (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Starware347\SimpleUpdate\SimpleUpdateConfig.xml (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Starware347\SimpleUpdate\SimpleUpdateConfig.xml.backup (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Starware347\SimpleUpdate\TimerManagerConfig.xml (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Starware347\SimpleUpdate\TimerManagerConfig.xml.backup (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Conrad\Application Data\Starware347\EntertainmentMarketingSP\EntertainmentMarketingSPOptions.xml (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Conrad\Application Data\Starware347\EntertainmentMarketingSP\EntertainmentMarketingSPOptions.xml.backup (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Conrad\Application Data\Starware347\Games\GamesOptions.xml (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Conrad\Application Data\Starware347\Games\GamesOptions.xml.backup (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Conrad\Application Data\Starware347\JokeSearch\JokeSearchOptions.xml (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Conrad\Application Data\Starware347\JokeSearch\JokeSearchOptions.xml.backup (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Conrad\Application Data\Starware347\Movies\MoviesOptions.xml (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Conrad\Application Data\Starware347\Movies\MoviesOptions.xml.backup (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Conrad\Application Data\Starware347\Pranks\PranksOptions.xml (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Conrad\Application Data\Starware347\Pranks\PranksOptions.xml.backup (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Conrad\Application Data\Starware347\ScreensaversMarketingSitePager\ScreensaversMarketingSitePagerOptions.xml (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Conrad\Application Data\Starware347\ScreensaversMarketingSitePager\ScreensaversMarketingSitePagerOptions.xml.backup (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Darrell\Application Data\Starware347\EntertainmentMarketingSP\EntertainmentMarketingSPOptions.xml (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Darrell\Application Data\Starware347\EntertainmentMarketingSP\EntertainmentMarketingSPOptions.xml.backup (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Darrell\Application Data\Starware347\Games\GamesOptions.xml (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Darrell\Application Data\Starware347\Games\GamesOptions.xml.backup (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Darrell\Application Data\Starware347\JokeSearch\JokeSearchOptions.xml (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Darrell\Application Data\Starware347\JokeSearch\JokeSearchOptions.xml.backup (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Darrell\Application Data\Starware347\Movies\MoviesOptions.xml (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Darrell\Application Data\Starware347\Movies\MoviesOptions.xml.backup (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Darrell\Application Data\Starware347\Pranks\PranksOptions.xml (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Darrell\Application Data\Starware347\Pranks\PranksOptions.xml.backup (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Darrell\Application Data\Starware347\ScreensaversMarketingSitePager\ScreensaversMarketingSitePagerOptions.xml (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Darrell\Application Data\Starware347\ScreensaversMarketingSitePager\ScreensaversMarketingSitePagerOptions.xml.backup (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Jing\Application Data\Starware347\EntertainmentMarketingSP\EntertainmentMarketingSPOptions.xml (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Jing\Application Data\Starware347\EntertainmentMarketingSP\EntertainmentMarketingSPOptions.xml.backup (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Jing\Application Data\Starware347\Games\GamesOptions.xml (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Jing\Application Data\Starware347\Games\GamesOptions.xml.backup (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Jing\Application Data\Starware347\JokeSearch\JokeSearchOptions.xml (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Jing\Application Data\Starware347\JokeSearch\JokeSearchOptions.xml.backup (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Jing\Application Data\Starware347\Movies\MoviesOptions.xml (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Jing\Application Data\Starware347\Movies\MoviesOptions.xml.backup (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Jing\Application Data\Starware347\Pranks\PranksOptions.xml (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Jing\Application Data\Starware347\Pranks\PranksOptions.xml.backup (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Jing\Application Data\Starware347\ScreensaversMarketingSitePager\ScreensaversMarketingSitePagerOptions.xml (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Jing\Application Data\Starware347\ScreensaversMarketingSitePager\ScreensaversMarketingSitePagerOptions.xml.backup (Adware.Starware) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\drv\drv.dll (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\drv\drv.sys (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\reader_s.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\Temp\csrss.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Kendrick\Local Settings\Temp\csrss.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\Temp\services.exe (Password.Stealer) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Kendrick\Local Settings\Temp\winlogon.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Administrator\reader_s.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\010112010146118114.dat (Worm.KoobFace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\0101120101464849.dat (Worm.KoobFace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\934fdfg34fgjf23 (Worm.KoobFace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\Fonts\services.exe (Worm.Archive) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\ld12.exe (Worm.KoobFace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

#4 Straythe

Straythe

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2009 - 12:11 AM

Hi Superbird,

I followed your instructions. Actually, I ran Malwarebytes from a CD because I was having trouble with the internet connection on that computer. Malwarebytes found some pretty nasty sounding stuff which it successfully quarantined and deleted including rootkits, trojans, and password stealers. It asked me to reboot the computer, but I haven't done so yet. Do you think I should do anything else before trying to use the computer?

Hello, note that I am not staff here, just a user trying to help out.

Malwarebytes needs the computer to be rebooted to complete its disinfection, so you should definitely do that. It's in the very end of the instructions for Malwarebytes above. After that, see how your computer is behaving, and superbird likely will ask you to run a few more scans.

Good luck - Straythe
***"When you surround an enemy, leave an outlet free [...] to make him believe there is a road to safety, and thus prevent his fighting with the courage of despair." Sun Tzu ***

#5 drphilosopher

drphilosopher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 30 August 2009 - 02:01 AM

Hi,

Well, I probably messed things up since I didn't reboot right away -- I did reboot later. So, I did another complete quick scan which found another 3 infections as shown in the log file below. This time I did a reboot right away -- using the dialog box provided by MBAM. However, the computer is having the same problem it was having before I started this process. In particular, I am getting the error window:

logonui.exe -- Application Error
The instruction at "0x005e24d" referenced memory at "0x005e24d". The memory could not be "written".
Click OK to terminate the program.
Click CANCEL to debug the program.

I have to terminate the program about 10 times before I can go on. Then I get a warning message from the OS saying that Microsoft Windows has terminated the program because it is not working. Then, I have to use ctrl-alt-del to bring up the task manager so that I can start "explorer" as a "new task" before I get an explorer bar and everything else starts up.

Here is the new log:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.40
Database version: 2714
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

8/30/2009 12:44:38 AM
mbam-log-2009-08-30 (00-44-38).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 194134
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 1 minute(s), 2 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 1
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 2

Memory Processes Infected:

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\Regedit32 (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\autorun.inf (SuspectAutorun.Rootdrive.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\oashdihasidhasuidhiasdhiashdiuasdhasd (Trace.Pandex) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

The computer is half booted up waiting for a response to the above mentioned error message. How should I proceed?

Darrell

Edited by drphilosopher, 30 August 2009 - 09:54 AM.

#6 Guest_superbird_*

Guest_superbird_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 30 August 2009 - 12:12 PM

Hi,

Click Cancel.
Please do a new, full scan, with MBAM, and post the logfile in your next reply.

#7 drphilosopher

drphilosopher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2009 - 07:00 PM

Hi,

I decided to do a reformat and reinstall of the OS. So far so good. Now I need to reload the backed up files. I'll scan the files after I reload them.

Thanks.

Darrell

#8 Guest_superbird_*

Guest_superbird_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 31 August 2009 - 05:19 AM

Hi Darrell,

I don't think a format was needed here, but ok. Sometimes it's the quickest way.
Good luck with placing the backup back on your system. :thumbsup:

Have a nice day.

#9 drphilosopher

drphilosopher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2009 - 11:27 AM

Thank you. I learned a lot in this process and hopefully it will help me keep my computers virus free.

Darrell

#10 Guest_superbird_*

Guest_superbird_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 01 September 2009 - 12:32 AM

You are most welcome. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users