Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

probably an idiot question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 chiavet

chiavet

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 25 August 2009 - 03:15 PM

HI, I'm new here. My hard drive crashed 2 weeks ago. Got new hdd installed. Computer guy installed XP on new drive(my request). Here is what I can't figure out. When I go to any files, the format (think that is the correct word) is missing (doc, jpg, gif, html, etc. etc) I know it probably isn't a big deal to most people but I find it confusing. Is there a place where I can go to set it up so that when I view any files I know what is a doc, html, jpg, etc etc.

Thanks for any help!!

Edited by chiavet, 25 August 2009 - 03:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 25 August 2009 - 03:18 PM

In Windows Explorer go to Tools>Folder Options>View tab> Make sure the check mark is removed from "Hide extensions for known file types".

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,552 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2009 - 03:39 PM

That's a very good question, one which more users ought to want to know the answer to :thumbsup:.

Windows XP comes with a variety of well-intended (but somewhat debatable) base settings. The developers choose to treat users as if they are children who don't need to know certain simple, useful things about the O/S they are using...in some cases, they are right...in many cases, the developers are wrong in their approach.

What you refer to are known as "file extensions." Without a file extension, it is impossible to know what type of file one is faced with, since any number of files may have the same front portion of the filename. A filename is normally considered to be the complete name, which includes the extension (the part coming after the dot/period).

Some forms of malware count on users not recognizing this security vulnerability.

In any case, you should allow yourself to see the complete filename for any file on your system. To do such:

a. Go to Explorer view of My Computer.

b. Click on Tools/Folder Options. Select the View tab.

c. Elect "Show hidden files and folders"...uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types"...uncheck "Hide protected operating system files."

Making these changes will allow you to proceed safely and intelligently when viewing a given file.

Dated but worth reading, IMO: http://diamond-back.com/fileextensions.html

There are any number of useful references on the Web for any file extension. I find that Google provides the maximum number of answers that will provide the user with useful data re any known, valid file extension.

Louis

#4 chiavet

chiavet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 25 August 2009 - 07:44 PM

Thanks to both of you for your help. I couldn't think of "file extensions" :thumbsup: for the life of me when I was posting but I'm glad you both knew what I was talking about.

Thanks again

Cynthia
aka:chiavet

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2009 - 06:34 AM

:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic