Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lightning hit the phone lines...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Monkeyb00y

Monkeyb00y

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 25 August 2009 - 02:52 PM

Computer: DELL Dimension 2400.

OK, so my brother woke up to a loud crack from lightning outside and inside his room. That apparently was 2 things. The wireless DSL box from his ISP (AT&T) and his computer. Right now his computer will not turn on. I currently have swapped the power source out with another that I know works. The light on the motherboard comes on, but pressing the power button on the front does nothing. I was thinking it might be the button itself. BUT I know it's not that simple. The DSL box was fried, then the lightning must have smashed through it & hit the Ethernet plug which is soldered to the motherboard. SO, if my hunch it right, the motherboard is gone... should I waste any more time troubleshooting or should I just pull the info off the hard drive & move on?

Thanks for the replies!

Monkeyb00y :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,905 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2009 - 03:13 PM

Have you thought that your home owner's insurance might cover the damage caused
by lightning?

There is more than a possibility that your HDD is gone, too.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2009 - 03:22 PM

If the PC is still under warranty then it may be covered as well.

I have done several service calls to replace mobos that suffered the same fate. All covered under the original warranty.

#4 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 25 August 2009 - 04:19 PM

To say that this isn't common would be a lie. I've been through maybe 20 dial-up modems in my life and about as many "surge-protector" strips (yeah the power side is resetable but not the phone side). I actually burnt one up last week while I was away left the modem plugged into the phone line and went to a friends house came back and it was toasted.

Depending on the age of the PC buying a new mobo isn't out of the question a AMD 939 board will run you about $50 (i've been checking since my desktop needs one) and a new PC will run you alot more than that.

Posted Image

#5 Monkeyb00y

Monkeyb00y
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2009 - 10:02 PM

I appreciate the replies, I had assumed the worst and my assumptions were correct.

-Monkeyb00y-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users