Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deciding between CPU/mobo or GPU upgrade

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 madman6510

madman6510

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 25 August 2009 - 02:42 PM

Well, it's time I upgraded my computer, but I'm stuck between 2 things. Right now I have a:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (I know, I know, it came with it :thumbsup:)
Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS 640 MB
Windows 7 (64 bit)
Stock motherboard (can't find any model numbers)
4GB of RAM

...And various other things that have no effect on speed :huh:

It's running a little slow in games, and I was wondering what upgrade could help me the most:

Upgrade video card to a (probably, still deciding) HD 4890 1GB

or

Upgrade CPU to a (probably) AMD Phenom 9950 Agena 2.6GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition, and motherboard to a (probably) BIOSTAR TA790GX XE AM2+/AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI Micro ATX.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814150359
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819103291
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813138140

Also, if anyone knows of a similar video card to that that supports native HDMI, that'd be awesome :huh:

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2009 - 02:48 PM

With video cards having onboard GPUs, that is where the biggest bang for your $$$ is if your mobo will support it.
The onboard GPU takes away the load on the CPU.

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2009 - 04:10 PM

You actually have a fairly well matched system. Any signifigant upgrade will make the other components a bottleneck. Do agree with the above advice, you might as well get a videocard now as that will be your biggest bang for the buck. If shopping for ATI products, the new 5XXX series hit at the end of September and current prices might drop a bit.

EDIT: All 4XXX series cards support HDMI. I can attest they work fine with TVs.

Edited by dpunisher, 25 August 2009 - 04:12 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users