Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop won't even turn on

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sum_peeps

sum_peeps

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 25 August 2009 - 10:42 AM

here's the scoop, I own a Latitude D600 Dell laptop and just last night I was using it when suddenly it flashed what looked like then blue screen of death(I can't be sure because it came and went so fast) and turned itself off. I tried turning it back on and it said: "the amount of internal memory has changed, hit F1 to continue" and a I of course hit F1 and the computer worked but was EXTREMELY SLOW. then, when I'm in the middle of something it flashes the blue screen and turns off again. Now, I can't even turn it on, it just flashes the CAPS lock light about 7 times and then goes silent. I tried taking out the battery and putting it back in, but that didn't work so I seem to be screwed. please help me

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 25 August 2009 - 10:55 AM

Sounds like either a bad, or loose memory module or possibly a failing motherboard dimm slot.

Try re-seating the memory. If this does not help try switching the memory around in their slots.

Try one module at a time.

I will assume it is no longer under warranty.

#3 sum_peeps

sum_peeps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2009 - 11:25 AM

reseated the memory and it works! but it now shows a black screen with "the amoumt of system memory has changed", should I just reseat the memory over and over until it works?

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2009 - 11:27 AM

No.

How much memory did you have?

How much is it showing now?

#5 sum_peeps

sum_peeps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2009 - 12:49 PM

I switched the modules and now my laptop works like a charm, thanks for the help

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2009 - 12:51 PM

Do`t be surprised if it happens again.

We will hope it dose`t.

#7 sum_peeps

sum_peeps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2009 - 05:23 PM

.....it did, now what?

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2009 - 06:14 PM

At best it is a bad stick of RAM. At worst the mobo may be going bad.

Try running memtest. I would suggest the full test and let it run overnight.

You can try operating for a while with one stick of RAM at a time. If the problem occurs again try swapping out with the other stick. If it happens again then you could try purchasing new RAM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users