Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading IE from 6 to 7 or 8

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rikki

rikki

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 25 August 2009 - 10:08 AM

I run Windows XP Service Pack 3. Here is my problem. I tried to update to IE 8. What a mess. Links didn't work. I couldn't even type in the addresses in the address bar for it to work. Worse still, my HP scanner no longer worked, so I uninstalled IE 8 and everything returned to normal.

Next, I tried to install IE 7. Not quite as big a mess but still my scanner didn't work. Again I uninstalled and everything went back to normal.

Putting so much pressure on me to update my browser is making me nervous. Why do I have to update anyway? OK others tell me to upload Modzilla. I've done that and it's fine but so many things are missing - boomarks for both Google and Yahoo. Besides, you get used to the look and feel of a browser.

Can I just keep using IE6 or will something bad happen if I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,702 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 25 August 2009 - 10:31 AM

IE6 is pretty insecure. Not to say something bad will happen if you continue to use it, but something bad could happen.

Putting in a bit of a plug for (Mozilla) Firefox here:

OK others tell me to upload Modzilla. I've done that and it's fine but so many things are missing - boomarks for both Google and Yahoo. Besides, you get used to the look and feel of a browser.

You can actually import a lot of settings and data (including favorites), from IE into Firefox. Importing favorites and other data from Internet Explorer

The only thing I don't think you'll be able to compensate for is the "look and feel" of IE that you mentioned. But if you're determined, you'll adjust pretty quickly. Firefox is very user friendly, and any questions you have you can probably get answered here in the forums. :thumbsup:

Hope that helps,
~Blade

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#3 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 25 August 2009 - 11:23 AM

You'll have to get rid of IE6 anyway. Many websites (including Youtube) have announced that they are discontinuing support for IE6. You may want to look at your scanner settings or maybe a driver upgrade or something. Thet's more likely where the problem lies.

#4 Eric RBA

Eric RBA

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 25 August 2009 - 12:54 PM

Chrome. It's the solution. Here's a link to get it.

However, even if you get over using Internet Explorer for daily normal usage and move on to Chrome of Firefox, you'll still need to have IE updated and working on your machine. I highly recommend going with another browser for every day use, such as Firefox or Chrome, because of a tremendous security advantage. You can even download a theme for Mozilla Firefox that will make it look just like IE. Here's one that works with Firefox 3.5. Download Firefox first then the theme, if you decide to go with that option.

As for the issue with your HP scanner, you probably do need to get updated drivers. If that doesn't work, you can try uninstalling the software/drivers for the scanner and then reinstall them after you upgrade to IE7 or IE8.

Edited by Eric RBA, 25 August 2009 - 12:55 PM.

I would never ask a person to do something that I wouldn't do myself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users