Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Changing user profile name in Active Directory & MS Exchange

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_WelshSteve_*

Guest_WelshSteve_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:31 AM

Someone at work is getting married this week so I need to change their name on our system. If I change the Active Directory profile to the new surname, I assume it could affect everything? Id also need to rename their MS Exchange 2003 mailbox. Ive added another SMTP address in the list of email addresses in their AD profile but as for the rest Im not sure of the implication in changing things. Altogether this is what I need to change.

Profile login name from firstname.surname to firstname.newsurname

Default email account from firstname.surname@ourdomain.com to firstname.newsurname@ourdomain.com

Profile folder on the server (I assume, rename folder and re-apply new security setting

Documents and Settings on their machine I assume I could just copy the application data, favourites etc into the new folder once Windows creates it on first login under the new name?

Never done this before so not sure how to proceed

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thedeacon

thedeacon

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2009 - 03:39 AM

Someone at work is getting married this week so I need to change their name on our system. If I change the Active Directory profile to the new surname, I assume it could affect everything? Id also need to rename their MS Exchange 2003 mailbox. Ive added another SMTP address in the list of email addresses in their AD profile but as for the rest Im not sure of the implication in changing things. Altogether this is what I need to change.

Profile login name from firstname.surname to firstname.newsurname

Default email account from firstname.surname@ourdomain.com to firstname.newsurname@ourdomain.com

Profile folder on the server (I assume, rename folder and re-apply new security setting

Documents and Settings on their machine I assume I could just copy the application data, favourites etc into the new folder once Windows creates it on first login under the new name?

Never done this before so not sure how to proceed

That sounds about right. AD is easy, just right click user and select Rename. It's Exchange that can get tricky but I believe you have it right. Here's another resource:

http://www.amset.info/exchange/usernamechange.asp
Currently working on my CCNA and then towards Security.

The Network Technician

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users