Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop - 100% CPU and full hard drive

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#1 esbaylus

esbaylus

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:07 AM

Hello,
My friends Sony Vaio laptop is having major problems. In normal mode, Vista (Home Premium)starts, and I have about 15 seconds before the CPU useage goes to 100%. If I'm fast enough, I can get task manager to start, and it shows processes running, but the total is about 15%. So I have a hidden process running. Also, if I'm fast enough, I can open COMPUTER, and it shows the C: drive as 0 bytes available of 0 bytes. The HD light is flashing nonstop. At 100% CPU useage, I cannot load or run anything.

If I boot into Safe Mode, I do not have the problems. The hard drive shows over 100GB available. I am unable to install anti virus or spyware software in safe mode. The installer either says it can't run in safe mode, or it cannot write to the registry. I've cleaned many systems before, but I am stuck on this. I would LOVE not to have to reinstall Vista.

HELP!

Thanks,

Gene

Edited by esbaylus, 25 August 2009 - 11:20 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,933 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 25 August 2009 - 01:03 PM

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (v1.40) and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2

MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the definition updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
  • Exit MBAM when done.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so MBAM can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

-- If Malwarebytes Anti-Malware results in any error messages, please refer to Fixes for common problems and Error Codes. Some issues with errors can be related to malware infection but others are not.

Note: MBAM uses Inno Setup instead of the Windows Installer Service to install the program. If installation fails in normal mode, try installing and scanning in safe mode. Doing this is usually not advised as MBAM is designed to be at full power when running in normal mode and loses some effectiveness for detection & removal when used in safe mode. For optimal removal, normal mode is recommended so it does not limit the abilities of MBAM. Therefore, after completing a scan it is recommended to uninstall MBAM, then reinstall it in normal mode and perform another Quick Scan.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 esbaylus

esbaylus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2009 - 01:23 PM

I cannot install or run anything in a normal mode. I get only approx. 15 seconds before the CPU goes to 100%, and then the system is non responsive. I CAN TRY to install MBAM in safe mode, but I thought it refused to install in safe mode.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,933 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2009 - 02:25 PM

I CAN TRY to install MBAM in safe mode

Yes try that.

#5 esbaylus

esbaylus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2009 - 06:52 PM

OK, in safe mode, at the end of the install, I get an error:

SETUP

Error creating registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Malwarebytes' Anti-Maleware_is1

RegCreateKeyEx failed; code 1019
System could not allocate the required space in a registry log.

What now?

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,933 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2009 - 09:28 PM

Delete mbam-setup.exe, download a fresh copy, reboot in safe mode and try again.

#7 esbaylus

esbaylus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2009 - 07:54 AM

OK,
I lost Internet connectivity on the laptop in question. D/L'ed mbam-setup.exe on my desktop, but the laptop won't recognize any USB drive attached, so burned to a CD, and I get the same error as above....

Gene

Edited by esbaylus, 26 August 2009 - 08:08 AM.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,933 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2009 - 08:12 AM

If you cannot use the Internet or download any required programs to the infected machine, try downloading them from another computer (family member, friend, library, etc) with an Internet connection. Save to a flash (usb, pen, thumb, jump) drive or CD, transfer to the infected machine, then install and run the program(s). If you cannot copy files to your usb drive, make sure it is not "Write Protected".

Please download TFC by Old Timer and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link
  • Save any unsaved work. TFC will close ALL open programs including your browser!
  • Double-click on TFC.exe to run it. If you are using Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator.
  • Click the Start button to begin the cleaning process and let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Important! If TFC prompts you to reboot, please do so immediately. If not prompted, manually reboot the machine anyway to ensure a complete clean.
Please download and scan with Dr.Web CureIt - alternate download link.
Follow these instructions for performing a scan in "safe mode".
If you cannot boot into safe mode or complete a scan, then try doing it in normal mode. Be aware, this scan could take a long time to complete.
-- Post the log in your next reply. If you can't find the log, try to write down what was detected/removed before exiting Dr.WebCureIt so you can provide that information.

#9 esbaylus

esbaylus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2009 - 12:40 PM

OK, Here is the log (.csv)

PopularScreensaversSetup2.3.50.24.ZRfox000.exe/data001/mwsSetup.CommonCodebase.exe\data003;C:\Documents and Settings\Brittany\DoctorWeb\Quarantine\PopularScreensaversSetup2.3.50.24.ZRfox000.exe/data001/mwsSetup.CommonC;Adware.MyWebSearch.4;;
PopularScreensaversSetup2.3.50.24.ZRfox000.exe/data001/mwsSetup.CommonCodebase.exe\data007;C:\Documents and Settings\Brittany\DoctorWeb\Quarantine\PopularScreensaversSetup2.3.50.24.ZRfox000.exe/data001/mwsSetup.CommonC;Adware.MWS.75;;
PopularScreensaversSetup2.3.50.24.ZRfox000.exe/data001/mwsSetup.CommonCodebase.exe\data008;C:\Documents and Settings\Brittany\DoctorWeb\Quarantine\PopularScreensaversSetup2.3.50.24.ZRfox000.exe/data001/mwsSetup.CommonC;Adware.MyWebSearch.7;;
PopularScreensaversSetup2.3.50.24.ZRfox000.exe/data001/mwsSetup.CommonCodebase.exe\data010;C:\Documents and Settings\Brittany\DoctorWeb\Quarantine\PopularScreensaversSetup2.3.50.24.ZRfox000.exe/data001/mwsSetup.CommonC;Adware.MWS.81;;
PopularScreensaversSetup2.3.50.24.ZRfox000.exe/data001/mwsSetup.CommonCodebase.exe\data011;C:\Documents and Settings\Brittany\DoctorWeb\Quarantine\PopularScreensaversSetup2.3.50.24.ZRfox000.exe/data001/mwsSetup.CommonC;Adware.Websearch.7;;
PopularScreensaversSetup2.3.50.24.ZRfox000.exe/data001/mwsSetup.CommonCodebase.exe\data012;C:\Documents and Settings\Brittany\DoctorWeb\Quarantine\PopularScreensaversSetup2.3.50.24.ZRfox000.exe/data001/mwsSetup.CommonC;Adware.Websearch.35;;
PopularScreensaversSetup2.3.50.24.ZRfox000.exe/data001/mwsSetup.CommonCodebase.exe\data013;C:\Documents and Settings\Brittany\DoctorWeb\Quarantine\PopularScreensaversSetup2.3.50.24.ZRfox000.exe/data001/mwsSetup.CommonC;Adware.MWS.74;;
PopularScreensaversSetup2.3.50.24.ZRfox000.exe/data001/mwsSetup.CommonCodebase.exe\data014;C:\Documents and Settings\Brittany\DoctorWeb\Quarantine\PopularScreensaversSetup2.3.50.24.ZRfox000.exe/data001/mwsSetup.CommonC;Adware.MWS.76;;
PopularScreensaversSetup2.3.50.24.ZRfox000.exe/data001/mwsSetup.CommonCodebase.exe\data015;C:\Documents and Settings\Brittany\DoctorWeb\Quarantine\PopularScreensaversSetup2.3.50.24.ZRfox000.exe/data001/mwsSetup.CommonC;Adware.MyWebSearch.14;;
PopularScreensaversSetup2.3.50.24.ZRfox000.exe/data001/mwsSetup.CommonCodebase.exe\data016;C:\Documents and Settings\Brittany\DoctorWeb\Quarantine\PopularScreensaversSetup2.3.50.24.ZRfox000.exe/data001/mwsSetup.CommonC;Adware.MyWebSearch.11;;
PopularScreensaversSetup2.3.50.24.ZRfox000.exe/data001/mwsSetup.CommonCodebase.exe\data017;C:\Documents and Settings\Brittany\DoctorWeb\Quarantine\PopularScreensaversSetup2.3.50.24.ZRfox000.exe/data001/mwsSetup.CommonC;Adware.MyWebSearch.23;;
PopularScreensaversSetup2.3.50.24.ZRfox000.exe/data001/mwsSetup.CommonCodebase.exe\data018;C:\Documents and Settings\Brittany\DoctorWeb\Quarantine\PopularScreensaversSetup2.3.50.24.ZRfox000.exe/data001/mwsSetup.CommonC;Adware.MyWebSearch.22;;
PopularScreensaversSetup2.3.50.24.ZRfox000.exe/data001/mwsSetup.CommonCodebase.exe\data019;C:\Documents and Settings\Brittany\DoctorWeb\Quarantine\PopularScreensaversSetup2.3.50.24.ZRfox000.exe/data001/mwsSetup.CommonC;Adware.MyWebSearch.8;;
PopularScreensaversSetup2.3.50.24.ZRfox000.exe/data001/mwsSetup.CommonCodebase.exe\data020;C:\Documents and Settings\Brittany\DoctorWeb\Quarantine\PopularScreensaversSetup2.3.50.24.ZRfox000.exe/data001/mwsSetup.CommonC;Adware.MyWebSearch.10;;
PopularScreensaversSetup2.3.50.24.ZRfox000.exe/data001/mwsSetup.CommonCodebase.exe\data021;C:\Documents and Settings\Brittany\DoctorWeb\Quarantine\PopularScreensaversSetup2.3.50.24.ZRfox000.exe/data001/mwsSetup.CommonC;Adware.Msearch;;
PopularScreensaversSetup2.3.50.24.ZRfox000.exe/data001/mwsSetup.CommonCodebase.exe\data022;C:\Documents and Settings\Brittany\DoctorWeb\Quarantine\PopularScreensaversSetup2.3.50.24.ZRfox000.exe/data001/mwsSetup.CommonC;Adware.MyWebSearch.9;;
PopularScreensaversSetup2.3.50.24.ZRfox000.exe/data001/mwsSetup.CommonCodebase.exe\data024;C:\Documents and Settings\Brittany\DoctorWeb\Quarantine\PopularScreensaversSetup2.3.50.24.ZRfox000.exe/data001/mwsSetup.CommonC;Adware.MWS;;
PopularScreensaversSetup2.3.50.24.ZRfox000.exe/data001/mwsSetup.CommonCodebase.exe\data027;C:\Documents and Settings\Brittany\DoctorWeb\Quarantine\PopularScreensaversSetup2.3.50.24.ZRfox000.exe/data001/mwsSetup.CommonC;Adware.MyWebSearch.15;;
PopularScreensaversSetup2.3.50.24.ZRfox000.exe/data001/mwsSetup.CommonCodebase.exe\data028;C:\Documents and Settings\Brittany\DoctorWeb\Quarantine\PopularScreensaversSetup2.3.50.24.ZRfox000.exe/data001/mwsSetup.CommonC;Adware.Websearch.6;;
PopularScreensaversSetup2.3.50.24.ZRfox000.exe/data001/mwsSetup.CommonCodebase.exe\data030;C:\Documents and Settings\Brittany\DoctorWeb\Quarantine\PopularScreensaversSetup2.3.50.24.ZRfox000.exe/data001/mwsSetup.CommonC;Adware.MyWebSearch.12;;
PopularScreensaversSetup2.3.50.24.ZRfox000.exe/data001/mwsSetup.CommonCodebase.exe\data031;C:\Documents and Settings\Brittany\DoctorWeb\Quarantine\PopularScreensaversSetup2.3.50.24.ZRfox000.exe/data001/mwsSetup.CommonC;Adware.Websearch.8;;
mwsSetup.CommonCodebase.exe;C:\Documents and Settings\Brittany\DoctorWeb\Quarantine;Container contains infected objects;;
data001;C:\Documents and Settings\Brittany\DoctorWeb\Quarantine;Archive contains infected objects;;
PopularScreensaversSetup2.3.50.24.ZRfox000.exe;C:\Documents and Settings\Brittany\DoctorWeb\Quarantine;Container contains infected objects;Moved.;
SmitfraudFix.exe\SmitfraudFix\Process.exe;C:\Documents and Settings\Brittany\Downloads\SmitfraudFix.exe;Tool.Prockill;;
SmitfraudFix.exe\SmitfraudFix\restart.exe;C:\Documents and Settings\Brittany\Downloads\SmitfraudFix.exe;Tool.ShutDown.14;;
SmitfraudFix.exe;C:\Documents and Settings\Brittany\Downloads;Archive contains infected objects;Moved.;
Process.exe;C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\SmitfraudFix;Tool.Prockill;Incurable.Moved.;
restart.exe;C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\SmitfraudFix;Tool.ShutDown.14;Incurable.Moved.;

What's next?

Gene

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,933 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2009 - 01:00 PM

See if MBAM will run now.

If not, please download Norman Malware Cleaner and save to your desktop.
alternate download link
  • Be sure to print out the instructions provided on the same page.
  • Restart your computer in "Safe Mode".
  • Double-click on Norman_Malware_Cleaner.exe to start the program.
  • Read the End User License Agreement and click the Accept button to open the scanning window.
  • Click Start Scan to begin.
  • In some cases Norman Malware Cleaner may require that you restart the computer to completely remove an infection. If prompted, reboot and run the tool again to ensure that all infections are removed.
  • After the scan has finished, a log file with the date (i.e. NFix_2009-06-22_07-08-56.log) will be created on your desktop with the results.
Then download Sophos Anti-rootkit & save it to your desktop.
alternate download link
Note: If using the vendor's download site you will be asked to register with MySophos so an email containing an activation link can be sent to your email address.

Be sure to print out and read the Sophos Anti-Rookit User Manual and Release Notes.
  • Double-click sar_15_sfx.exe to begin the installation, read the license agreement and click Accept.
  • Allow the default location of C:\Program Files\Sophos\Sophos Anti-Rootkit and click Install.
  • A message will appear "Sophos Anti-Rootkit was successfully installed. Click 'yes' to start it now".
  • Click Yes and allow the driver and its randomly named .tmp file (i.e. F.tmp) to load if asked.
  • If the scan did not start automatically, make sure the following are checked:
    • Running processes
    • Windows Registry
    • Local Hard Drives
  • Click Start scan.
  • Sophos Anti-Rootkit will scan the selected areas and display any suspicious files in the upper panel.
  • When the scan is complete, a pop-up screen will appear with "Rootkit Scan Results". Click OK to continue.
  • Click on the suspicious file to display more information about it in the lower panel which also includes whether the item is recommended for removal.
    • Files tagged as Removable: No are not marked for removal and cannot be removed.
    • Files tagged as Removable: Yes (clean up recommended) are marked for removal by default.
    • Files tagged as Removable: Yes (but clean up not recommended) are not marked for removal because Sophos did not recognize them. These files will require further investigation.
  • Select only items recommended for removal, then click "Clean up checked items". You will be asked to confirm, click Yes.
  • A pop up window will appear advising the cleanup will finish when you restart your computer. Click Restart Now.
  • After reboot, a dialog box displays the files you selected for removal and the action taken.
  • Click Empty list and then click Continue to re-scan your computer a second time to ensure everything was cleaned.
  • When done, go to Start > Run and type or copy/paste: %temp%\sarscan.log
  • This should open the log from the rootkit scan. Please post this log in your next reply. If you have a problem, you can find sarscan.log in C:\Documents and Settings\\Local Settings\Temp\.
Important: Before performing an ARK scan it is recommended to do the following to ensure more accurate results and avoid common issues that may cause false detections.
  • Disconnect from the Internet or physically unplug you Internet cable connection.
  • Clean out your temporary files.
  • Close all open programs, scheduling/updating tasks and background processes that might activate during the scan including the screensaver.
  • Temporarily disable your anti-virus and real-time anti-spyware protection.
  • After starting the scan, do not use the computer until the scan has completed.
  • When finished, re-enable your anti-virus/anti-malware (or reboot) and then you can reconnect to the Internet.
Note: Not all hidden components detected by ARKs are malicious. It is normal for a Firewall, some Anti-virus and Anti-malware software (ProcessGuard, Prevx1, AVG AS), sandboxes, virtual machines and Host based Intrusion Prevention Systems (HIPS) to hook into the OS kernal/SSDT in order to protect your system. SSDT (System Service Descriptor Table) is a table that stores addresses of functions that are used by Windows. Both Legitimate programs and rootkits can hook into and alter this table. You should not be alarmed if you see any hidden entries created by legitimate programs after performing a scan.

#11 esbaylus

esbaylus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2009 - 06:20 PM

Same error on MBAM install. So I ran Norman and Sophos.

Norman Log:

Norman Malware Cleaner
Copyright 1990 - 2009, Norman ASA. Built 2009/08/26 03:46:37

Norman Scanner Engine Version: 6.01.09
Nvcbin.def Version: 6.01.00, Date: 2009/08/26 03:46:37, Variants: 3750351

Scan started: 26/08/2009 16:46:40

Running pre-scan cleanup routine:
Operating System: Microsoft Windows Vista 6.0.6001(Safe mode with network) Service Pack 1
Logged on user: Brittany-PC\Brittany

Scanning running processes and process memory...

Number of processes/threads found: 1231
Number of processes/threads scanned: 1231
Number of processes/threads not scanned: 0
Number of infected processes/threads terminated: 0
Total scanning time: 25s

Scanning file system...

Scanning: C:\*.*

C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\SmitfraudFix\Agent.OMZ.Fix.exe (Infected with W32/Agent.MIAF)
Deleted file

C:\System Volume Information\{08dd7093-5899-11de-972b-001bfb8d66f9}{3808876b-c176-4e48-b7ae-04046e6cc752} (Error opening file: Access denied)

C:\System Volume Information\{3808876b-c176-4e48-b7ae-04046e6cc752} (Error opening file: Access denied)

C:\System Volume Information\{4779b84f-60f9-11de-9953-001bfb8d66f9}{3808876b-c176-4e48-b7ae-04046e6cc752} (Error opening file: Access denied)

C:\System Volume Information\{4779b855-60f9-11de-9953-001bfb8d66f9}{3808876b-c176-4e48-b7ae-04046e6cc752} (Error opening file: Access denied)

C:\System Volume Information\{4779b85b-60f9-11de-9953-001bfb8d66f9}{3808876b-c176-4e48-b7ae-04046e6cc752} (Error opening file: Access denied)

C:\System Volume Information\{62238dd3-7318-11de-af25-001a80426ddd}{3808876b-c176-4e48-b7ae-04046e6cc752} (Error opening file: Access denied)

C:\System Volume Information\{669d603e-5edb-11de-8d1b-001bfb8d66f9}{3808876b-c176-4e48-b7ae-04046e6cc752} (Error opening file: Access denied)

C:\System Volume Information\{84341aee-60d1-11de-9f9a-001bfb8d66f9}{3808876b-c176-4e48-b7ae-04046e6cc752} (Error opening file: Access denied)

C:\System Volume Information\{8ca1c0f9-7c45-11de-b6b8-001a80426ddd}{3808876b-c176-4e48-b7ae-04046e6cc752} (Error opening file: Access denied)

C:\System Volume Information\{933afbf5-40b5-11de-9b79-001bfb8d66f9}{3808876b-c176-4e48-b7ae-04046e6cc752} (Error opening file: Access denied)

C:\System Volume Information\{9f0c6ead-3b50-11de-bbea-001bfb8d66f9}{3808876b-c176-4e48-b7ae-04046e6cc752} (Error opening file: Access denied)

C:\System Volume Information\{a893092d-47d5-11de-bc96-001bfb8d66f9}{3808876b-c176-4e48-b7ae-04046e6cc752} (Error opening file: Access denied)

C:\System Volume Information\{aaa8cc75-3653-11de-9d20-001bfb8d66f9}{3808876b-c176-4e48-b7ae-04046e6cc752} (Error opening file: Access denied)

C:\System Volume Information\{d7a1b8ce-879e-11de-b18e-001a80426ddd}{3808876b-c176-4e48-b7ae-04046e6cc752} (Error opening file: Access denied)

C:\System Volume Information\{e2fabe79-351e-11de-a03f-001bfb8d66f9}{3808876b-c176-4e48-b7ae-04046e6cc752} (Error opening file: Access denied)

C:\System Volume Information\{e55dbd76-4671-11de-ab50-001bfb8d66f9}{3808876b-c176-4e48-b7ae-04046e6cc752} (Error opening file: Access denied)

C:\System Volume Information\{e5b6ae2b-517a-11de-aa5b-001bfb8d66f9}{3808876b-c176-4e48-b7ae-04046e6cc752} (Error opening file: Access denied)

C:\System Volume Information\{ed28c045-71a9-11de-981f-001a80426ddd}{3808876b-c176-4e48-b7ae-04046e6cc752} (Error opening file: Access denied)

C:\System Volume Information\{ef9fbd27-56fc-11de-9029-001bfb8d66f9}{3808876b-c176-4e48-b7ae-04046e6cc752} (Error opening file: Access denied)

C:\System Volume Information\{f9961a01-5e17-11de-8864-001bfb8d66f9}{3808876b-c176-4e48-b7ae-04046e6cc752} (Error opening file: Access denied)

C:\System Volume Information\{f9961a43-5e17-11de-8864-001bfb8d66f9}{3808876b-c176-4e48-b7ae-04046e6cc752} (Error opening file: Access denied)

C:\System Volume Information\{f9961a44-5e17-11de-8864-001bfb8d66f9}{3808876b-c176-4e48-b7ae-04046e6cc752} (Error opening file: Access denied)

C:\System Volume Information\{fef418f1-76ce-11de-94e0-001a80426ddd}{3808876b-c176-4e48-b7ae-04046e6cc752} (Error opening file: Access denied)

C:\Windows\System32\LogFiles\WMI\RtBackup\EtwRTDiagLog.etl (Error opening file: Access denied)

C:\Windows\System32\LogFiles\WMI\RtBackup\EtwRTEventLog-Application.etl (Error opening file: Access denied)

C:\Windows\System32\LogFiles\WMI\RtBackup\EtwRTEventlog-Security.etl (Error opening file: Access denied)

C:\Windows\System32\LogFiles\WMI\RtBackup\EtwRTEventLog-System.etl (Error opening file: Access denied)

Running post-scan cleanup routine:
Failed to set TCP/IP autotuning to "normal" (1) in 1 seconds

Number of files found: 205640
Number of archives unpacked: 726
Number of files scanned: 205582
Number of files not scanned: 58
Number of files skipped due to exclude list: 0
Number of infected files found: 1
Number of infected files repaired/deleted: 1
Number of infections removed: 1
Total scanning time: 44m 21s

Sophos Log:

Sophos Anti-Rootkit Version 1.5.0 2009 Sophos Plc
Started logging on 8/26/2009 at 18:38:32
User "Brittany" on computer "BRITTANY-PC"
Windows version 6.0 SP 1.0 Service Pack 1 build 6001 SM=0x300 PT=0x1 Win32
Info: Starting process scan.
Error: Could not initialize kernel driver memsweep.sys. Please restart and try again.
This service cannot be started in Safe Mode
Info: Starting registry scan.
Info: Starting disk scan of C: (NTFS).
Stopped logging on 8/26/2009 at 19:08:12

Sophos Anti-Rootkit Version 1.5.0 2009 Sophos Plc
Started logging on 8/26/2009 at 19:11:00
User "Brittany" on computer "BRITTANY-PC"
Windows version 6.0 SP 1.0 Service Pack 1 build 6001 SM=0x300 PT=0x1 Win32
Info: Starting process scan.
Error: Could not initialize kernel driver memsweep.sys. Please restart and try again.
This service cannot be started in Safe Mode

Now, what next?

Gene

Edited by esbaylus, 26 August 2009 - 06:22 PM.

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,933 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2009 - 07:30 AM

Have you been able to identify the responsible process utilizing your cpu/resources yet?

If not, here are some tools to investigate running processes and gather additional information to identify them and resolve problems:These tools will provide information about each process, CPU usage, file description and its path location If you right-click on a file and select properties, you will see more details.

Some of them are stand-alone programs in a zip file so they will require no installation.

#13 esbaylus

esbaylus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2009 - 08:22 AM

My problem is that they don't show up in safe mode. I can't get normal mode to run long enough to run a scan. I'll try again, since I haven't since the last bout of scan/cleaning.

Gene

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,933 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2009 - 08:25 AM

Those are not scanning tools. They are similar to Task Manager but show much more info.

#15 esbaylus

esbaylus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2009 - 08:46 AM

So I can / should run them in safe mode?

Edited by esbaylus, 27 August 2009 - 08:48 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users