Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hdd partion

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DaveyCS

DaveyCS

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:54 PM

I bought a 1T external HDD. I want to set it up so I can use it on two different computers. Can this be done? If so, which I think it can. How to go about it!!!
I run xp on both computers. One is Pro the other is home (XP).
"Thank You Very Much".........

Davey Crockett Sr

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 24 August 2009 - 11:21 PM

That depends.

I'm assuming that the drive connects to the computer via USB, Firewire, or eSATA?

If you just want to use it with one computer at a time then you should have no trouble at all, just unplug it from one and then plug it into the other.

If the computers are networked then you could set it up on one computer and then share it over the network.

But as for plugging it in to more than one computer at the same time? Nope. Sorry. For something like that you'd need a Network Attached Storage device, which is similar to just making it a shared drive on one of the computers but only with a dedicated device.

#3 DaveyCS

DaveyCS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 26 August 2009 - 04:58 PM

I just want to be able to use it on one. Than when needed unplug and use on the other. Not both at same time!
Thank You.... :huh: :thumbsup:
"Thank You Very Much".........

Davey Crockett Sr

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users