Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP automatic updates

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 farscape1999

farscape1999

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 19 July 2005 - 02:40 PM

I receive error messages everytime I start my computer. I have disabled automatic update in the normal place on the security center, but it still tries to automatically update. I had stopped this successfully, but with an error in judgement, I upgraded to new Microsoft update, thinking it would fix the error problems. It just put me back to where I was before I disabled it before. There is a place in the registry or somewhere it can be done, but I can't find my notes.

HELP!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 farscape1999

farscape1999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 19 July 2005 - 03:04 PM

Found the answer if someone else needs.

There are basically two ways that are safe to turn these off. Way number one is in your msconfig (Start then Run then msconfig then click ok). When you open the msconfig you will see a tab named "Services" click on that and decide on what you want to disable. The other way is your services policy editor (Start then Run then services.msc /s then click ok). Either way you will be able to disable them. Below is the list of services, what each is and recommendation to turn them off or on.

Thanks!

#3 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 19 July 2005 - 05:40 PM

Hi can you put what the error message is what it comes up as.
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users