Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Modem Locked

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Turaiel

Turaiel

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 24 August 2009 - 03:58 PM

My internet dialer from Juno (ugh) always crashes, and causes the modem to stay 'locked,' meaning the modem is no longer available for use, even though no programs are using it. This is really getting on my nerves because it happens several times a day, forcing me to reboot. Ordinarily, a reboot wouldn't matter to me, but if I'm right in the middle of something and I have to sit there for 5 minutes and wait, it's a bit inconvenient. Any suggestions on how to make the modem available again without rebooting?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 25 August 2009 - 07:54 AM

Try pausing between pages when you are clicking on them.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 Turaiel

Turaiel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2009 - 07:30 PM

Try pausing between pages when you are clicking on them.

Either you misread my post or I wasn't clear. Let me recap:

About every day, randomly, my connection level drops to "Local only," even though my dialer is still open. When I click disconnect on the dialer, it crashes, and I have to manually end its process. When I go to redial, it crashes again and shows me an error message that says my modem is already in use, when it clearly isn't. The only way that I know to open up access to the modem is to reboot, which takes a very long time on my computer. Even after rebooting, sometimes the dialer shows the same error message, even though nothing has even used the modem at that point. I'm thinking this is an issue with Vista's networking or something.

My question is: Is there anything I can do to fix this besides rebooting? Also, is there any alternative to Juno's dialer? The Windows dialer will only give me access to Juno/NetZero's website and nothing else.

#4 Turaiel

Turaiel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2009 - 08:06 PM

*bump*
This is a pretty major issue. Any suggestions?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2009 - 08:02 AM

Try reinstalling the Juno software, it's probably damaged.

Louis

#6 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2009 - 10:42 AM

My question is: Is there anything I can do to fix this besides rebooting? Also, is there any alternative to Juno's dialer? The Windows dialer will only give me access to Juno/NetZero's website and nothing else.

I apologize for my ignorance. What does "dialer will only give me access to Juno/NetZero's website and nothing else" mean. Is there some special browser you have to use with Juno?

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#7 Turaiel

Turaiel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2009 - 11:15 PM

I apologize for my ignorance. What does "dialer will only give me access to Juno/NetZero's website and nothing else" mean. Is there some special browser you have to use with Juno?

Juno requires their own dialer software that sits on the desktop all day while you use the internet. If you use the Windows dialer, the ISP bumps you down the their internal network, which reroutes all requests to the NetZero site.

Also, in reply to hamluis, I'll try it, but I'm thinking this is more of an incompatibility between the Juno software and Vista. Vista isn't exactly dial-up friendly. :/

A little side note... I just had to reboot from one of these disconnections, and it took 7 minutes, so you see how dire it is that I find out how to release this lock on the modem.

Edited by Riker, 31 August 2009 - 11:24 PM.

#8 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2009 - 07:08 AM

I had that Juno free for a week(couple years ago), but couldn't stand the ads and other garbage. I used it as a "just in case" if my cable went down.

I never had your modem problems with it, and I could never get the Windows dialer to work either.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#9 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 01 September 2009 - 08:29 AM

is their any software or driver updates for it ?

#10 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2009 - 08:33 AM

Are you getting a clean telephone signal? Is the modem configured properly for call waiting etc?

Expect problems with free or ad based services for an ISP, basically they all work poorly as everybody wants something for nothing.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#11 Turaiel

Turaiel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2009 - 09:52 AM

Are you getting a clean telephone signal? Is the modem configured properly for call waiting etc?

Expect problems with free or ad based services for an ISP, basically they all work poorly as everybody wants something for nothing.

This is occurring in two different locations, so the signal is okay. I do have call waiting disabled in the location that it is available. This is not Juno Free, it's their $10 per month service.

is their any software or driver updates for it ?

The Juno software is the newest version available (the same version they've had for years)

#12 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2009 - 12:44 PM

If it's not free, then why are you using it? Don't you have acces to a generic ISP that can do the job? This sounds almost like an AOL situation.

#13 Turaiel

Turaiel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2009 - 01:01 PM

My mom refuses to get anything that's above $10, which only leaves Juno and NetZero, which are one in the same. If it was up to me, I'd have DSL right now.

#14 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2009 - 04:13 PM

There should be some alternative. Most of my customers pay ~$90/year for dialup internet access, and I live in the boondocks in TX.

Google your zip code/ area code for ISPs.

#15 Turaiel

Turaiel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2009 - 04:58 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. It doesn't seem like the cause of the problem can be fixed, but disabling and re-enabling the modem from the device manager releases the lock on it and allows it to be used again without rebooting. I'm calling this resolved. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users