Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help reinstalling processor

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 darkslategrey

darkslategrey

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 24 August 2009 - 02:08 PM

Our Dell Dimension XPS burned out a motherboard. As the computer is no longer under warranty, we had to install the motherboard ourselves. From what I understood, one would lift the lever on the processor socket, insert the processor, lower the lever, insert the heatsink, and so on. However, when I removed the heatsink from the old motherboard, the processor came with it; it appears to be fused to the heatsink somehow. How should I install the processor?

Edited by darkslategrey, 24 August 2009 - 02:10 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 24 August 2009 - 03:40 PM

This is not an uncommon occurrence.
It is highly unlikely it is actually fused. What has happened is that there is thermal compound applied between the processor and heat sink. This can form a pretty strong bond over time and repeated heating\cooling cycles.

Since you are replacing the processor we will not worry about it but we do not want to scar the heat sink surface. You can try to gently but firmly pry it off with a very small bladed flat screw driver. Maybe warming it up a bit with a hair dryer prior to attempted removal will help.

Be sure to clean the heat sink surface and apply fresh thermal compound prior to installing the new processor.
rubbing alcohol works well for cleaning.

#3 Moby Purple

Moby Purple

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2009 - 06:55 PM

Not to make you nervous, but the amount of thermal compound you apply can be critical. Read the instructions carefully. Too much and it can run once it heats up and cause problems, too little and you will not get a good surface bond, heat transfer can suffer and cause overheating.

#4 darkslategrey

darkslategrey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:45 AM

This is not an uncommon occurrence.
It is highly unlikely it is actually fused. What has happened is that there is thermal compound applied between the processor and heat sink. This can form a pretty strong bond over time and repeated heating\cooling cycles.

Since you are replacing the processor we will not worry about it but we do not want to scar the heat sink surface. You can try to gently but firmly pry it off with a very small bladed flat screw driver. Maybe warming it up a bit with a hair dryer prior to attempted removal will help.

Be sure to clean the heat sink surface and apply fresh thermal compound prior to installing the new processor.
rubbing alcohol works well for cleaning.

Ah. See, you appear to have misunderstood me. The processor is still good, as far as I know, I just need to place it in the new motherboard. Which is kind of hard to do, because the processor is stuck to the heatsink, which is kind of getting in the way of doing that.

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2009 - 09:33 AM

Yep, a slight misunderstanding. My apologies.

My suggestion(s) still stand. Except of course adding "take care" in the removal of the processor. Also, instead of prying it off. Perhaps a slight twisting motion will help in removing it.

#6 darkslategrey

darkslategrey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2009 - 12:40 PM

Thanks for your help. We had a pretty hot day here the other day, and I noticed that the processor would "give" a little bit when I attempted to get it off. The twisting motion did the trick. I put it back in the socket and put the heatsink back on top, it boots and runs fine, I just need to do some reconfiguring as a result of the brand new motherboard. I'll be replacing the heatsink paste before I do anything more extensive.

Edited by darkslategrey, 28 August 2009 - 12:42 PM.

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2009 - 01:19 PM

Glad to hear you got it worked out.

Would definitely considering cleaning off the old and replacing with new paste ASAP.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users