Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cell Phone Jammers

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 musashi5o

musashi5o

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 24 August 2009 - 11:56 AM

I love cellphones & have even replaced my landline with one. As a high school classroom teacher I have a real problem. Just as you can't drive safely while texting, students can't really learn while texting. We have rules, but basically it's a "don't ask don't tell"rule and I don't mind, but many students can keep their hands in their hoodies' pockets & text w/o looking or maybe using a quick glance.

Is there good good DC cell phone jammer with around a thirty ft. radius signal that I can keep in my classroom? I wouldn't even tell my students...just quietly let it do it's job during class time. Maybe, just for kicks I could walk the hallways between classes with it on my belt and watch the tears start to flow.

I've heard many opinions about the possibility of blocking emergency calls, etc., but this is only for the classroom.

Musashi
Remember Whose you are.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eric RBA

Eric RBA

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 24 August 2009 - 12:03 PM

Is there good good DC cell phone jammer with around a thirty ft. radius signal that I can keep in my classroom? I wouldn't even tell my students...just quietly let it do it's job during class time. Maybe, just for kicks I could walk the hallways between classes with it on my belt and watch the tears start to flow.
Musashi

Slightly sadistic, but what a brilliant idea. I hope you find something out.
I would never ask a person to do something that I wouldn't do myself.

#3 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2009 - 12:10 PM

I've heard many opinions about the possibility of blocking emergency calls, etc.

That is what your main office is for.

I wouldn't mind seeing this myself :blink:

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#4 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,740 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 24 August 2009 - 04:14 PM

Only problem is that using a jammer is a federal offense. Otherwise, I think it is a good idea - not only for the classroom, but installed in cars too.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#5 Eric RBA

Eric RBA

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:21 PM

Wow! A federal offense? That seems a little extreme, but I believe it.

#6 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,740 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:47 PM

It's a violation of FCC rules. FCC = Federal Communications Commission

http://www.monstersandcritics.com/news/usa..._by_the_jammers

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php...ighlight=jammer
Derfram
~~~~~~

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:07 PM

Add this bit of an explanation of why it's considered a crime:

In the United States, United Kingdom, Australia and many other countries, blocking cell-phone services (as well as any other electronic transmissions) is against the law. In the United States, cell-phone jamming is covered under the Communications Act of 1934, which prohibits people from "willfully or maliciously interfering with the radio communications of any station licensed or authorized" to operate. In fact, the "manufacture, importation, sale or offer for sale, including advertising, of devices designed to block or jam wireless transmissions is prohibited" as well.

Jamming is seen as property theft, because a private company has purchased the rights to the radio spectrum, and jamming the spectrum is akin to stealing the property the company has purchased. It also represents a safety hazard because jamming blocks all calls in the area, not just the annoying ones. Jamming a signal could block the call of a babysitter frantically trying to contact a parent or a someone trying to call for an ambulance.

Above quote taken from here: http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/cell-phone-jammer5.htm

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#8 musashi5o

musashi5o
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2009 - 12:53 PM

Hey y'all, thanks for the links & info.

What a shame, though I can see why it's illegal. If they were legal then there'd be an uncountable number of regulations covering where they could be used & where not to use them. I've seen websites promoting their sale but noticed that no U.S. companies sold them; many Asian elctronic suppliers had them.

Intead, I can just ramp up my lessons to the point where no one wants to text during my class & everyone will want to learn. Plus, there are many other subtle ways of making teenagers miserable.

Musashi
Remember Whose you are.

#9 Eric RBA

Eric RBA

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2009 - 02:10 PM

If you come up with a curriculum that can steal the current youth's attention away from gadgets, games and the countless other dozens of distractions you'll be a millionaire! Good luck!! I have a lot of respect for teacher's in this era, you have your work cut out for you like never before!

#10 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2009 - 02:22 PM

I've got another idea, how about sitting a basket near the entrance to your classroom and put up a sign "Deposit Cell Phones Here After Turning Them Off. You May Pick Them Up After Class."

I've not heard of any laws or rulings that would stop you from doing that. Besides, they are in your classroom to learn, not text.

And if parents get upset, then you can tell them that their children are wasting their tax dollars while texting in class and not paying attention.

Just my 2 cents.
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#11 plumbarius

plumbarius

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2009 - 05:37 PM

I am also a teacher and my school has strict rules for usage. Once you enter the school, phone goes off. If you are caught using it or it goes off in your pocket or purse...you lose it, it gets turned in to the office and you don't get it back until you serve a detention. Detention is only done twice a week so it can be a real pain to the student. Parents call and complain that their child "needs" their phone for the weekend, but we have parent/student sign a paper which states our cell phone policy and the penalty for breaking rule.

Unfortunately, it is a federal law with jammers, but I have heard that someone makes a wall paint with special ingredients that jams phones in classrooms or offices....worth looking into, illegal or not! :blink:

#12 lrrlzrd

lrrlzrd

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2009 - 03:45 PM

passive blocking of cell pones is legal active blocking is illegal.

a cell phone jammier is illegal

butt using spacial pint or anything metallic to passively adsorb the signal from the tower to the cell phone and vice versa will get the same result and more impotently is legal.

a class room lined in aluminum foil wold work but wold be impractical so you should look for the pint.

#13 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,578 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2009 - 09:54 PM

I've got another idea, how about sitting a basket near the entrance to your classroom and put up a sign "Deposit Cell Phones Here After Turning Them Off. You May Pick Them Up After Class."

I've not heard of any laws or rulings that would stop you from doing that. Besides, they are in your classroom to learn, not text.

And if parents get upset, then you can tell them that their children are wasting their tax dollars while texting in class and not paying attention.

Just my 2 cents.

The basket to deposit the phone is used when you get stuck onto jury duty in my neck of the woods. Phones are illegal in the courtroom.

#14 bigalexe

bigalexe

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2009 - 12:49 PM

You cannot jam communications equipment, END OF STORY.

There are multiple reasons but the simplest may be that your device depends on its quality may block other things than its intended target which may result in harmful interference. I may suggest building a Faraday Cage around your room though, for instructions see a local physics professor.
AMD Phenom II X6 2.8ghz
8GB DDR3 RAM
XFX ATI Radeon HD6850 1 GB DDR5, 26" Widescreen HDMI
500GB + 80GB HDD
Windows 7 Pro, Mozilla Firefox, AutoCAD 2011, Solidworks 2009
1/19/2012

#15 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2009 - 09:24 PM

Why don't you just confiscate them like at my old High School? Walk around like a patrol when your teaching.. That will stop em!
Who said I couldn't have everything?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users