Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows crash if mouse over specific file extension

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 alittlehelp

alittlehelp

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 24 August 2009 - 11:27 AM

Greetings...
Hope this post finds you well.

Just did a complete format/reinstall of XP (SP3) on my PC after a nasty virus attack.

' little history:
I've been working with both Adobe and Corel on the same box (XP) for about 5 years now.
After the recent format / XP reinstall - All apps installed flawlessly (as usual). As I was loading in my
files, images and graphics (.ai,.cdr,.psd,png,bmp etc..) salvaged from the old drive - I encountered some
anomalous crashes anytime there was a native Corel PhotoPaint file - .CPT anywhere in the explorer
window. If explorer is lucky enough to load with a .CPT file in it -
as soon as my mouse/curser enters the explorer window or near the file - The screen crashes; goes black
and then slowly reloads the desktop.
Upon crashing- it will occasionally throw up an error message: "encountered a problem blah,blah - has to close -
blah,blah - send a report".... I usually have to do a taskmanager dump of drwatsn.exe to get the message to close.

Without any luck surfing the web for a fix; I contacted Corel. Unfortunately they will offer no support because software, although legal,
is not the current version and claims it is an XP problem and not their software. (fair)

I've done several formats and XP re-installs and it continues to happen. Regardless SP2 or SP3 upgrade.

In addition :
I have another similar problem with one of my old Dreamweaver products that never had issues for 5 years, and suddenly
only works in safe mode under Administrator. I am the only user on this PC and administrator rights. I can't run the software
under my account name in safe mode either..... strange....

Any solutions? I've been at this for a little over 3 weeks now and I just want things to start working again.

Please help.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by alittlehelp, 24 August 2009 - 11:33 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 24 August 2009 - 11:49 AM

How much RAM is installed?

What do your dumps reveal as the possible cause?

Help Diagnosing BSODs And Crashes (BC) - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176011/how-to-receive-help-diagnosing-blue-screens-and-windows-crashes/

Louis

#3 alittlehelp

alittlehelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2009 - 12:33 PM

Hi louis,

2 GB (expandable to 4)

404 error - free on line scan link at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176011/how-to-receive-help-diagnosing-blue-screens-and-windows-crashes/

How do I find out whether my XP is 32 or 64 so I can get the right debugger?

thanx

Edited by alittlehelp, 24 August 2009 - 12:33 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2009 - 12:39 PM

Seems easy enough, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827218

Louis

#5 alittlehelp

alittlehelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2009 - 01:23 PM

Yeah - was easy enough - as this was the first place I looked...didn't realize 32 bit was associated with a year and not -"32bit".

I have my folder options set to view as described in link tutorial provided. Searched the drive for.dmp, minidump, and memory.dmp.
Looking in c:\windows for this directory/.dmp. I've seen this in the previous versions of windows - Not finding it now and search turns up nothing:
no folders, no files, no extensions. Am I missing something?

Downloaded 32bit debugger.... Can I still run it?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2009 - 02:08 PM

When I do a search for files with a given extension (e.g., .dmp)...I just use the Start/Search function, with all files (system and hidden) made viewable and included.

*.dmp is my search string.

Louis

#7 alittlehelp

alittlehelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2009 - 02:43 PM

That's the method I use- Seriously, I'm a bit surprised that nothing turns up.
Been running across minidump for years. Now I can't find it when I need it?

I'll try the search with (asterisk) *.dmp and see if that turns up anything.....

-------------
Edit:
Search revealed two dump locations only :

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application data\Microsoft\Dr Watson\user.dmp (104 kb)
C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Temp\499DB.dmb (0 kb)

Even tried typing in explorer address bar:

C:\Windows\Minidump\

....nothing.

BTW: as I'm searching the web for additional info I often see results linking Minidump to Blue Screen.
Probably irrelevant - but blue screen is not the case here. As a matter of fact I can honestly say; I've never encountered
a blue screen running on this box in 5-6 years with XP SP2. I haven't, however, updated my drivers when I just recently preformed the format/re-installs.
So, the drivers are as old as the software I'm running....

Edited by alittlehelp, 24 August 2009 - 03:43 PM.

#8 alittlehelp

alittlehelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2009 - 02:41 PM

Since this really isn't a blue screen issue....
Would any of the experts here suggest a windows repair installation to solve my software problems?

I have seen some how to procedures around, but not sure as to the pros and cons with regards to the impact
on recent XP SP3 updates and currently installed programs.
Is it is even a prudent solution to a real fix?

...confused, tiered and running out of options.

Edited by alittlehelp, 25 August 2009 - 02:42 PM.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2009 - 03:00 PM

Well...if the problem relates to a particular file extension employed by a given program...I think I'd just rid myself of that program rather than do a repair install.

I do a repair install when I cannot finger any other suspects...but it's your system and you can handle these things any manner that you want to.

The fact that you are having problems with an older version of a given program (my interpretation) may indicate that you need to check for issued updates for said program and/or reinstall and then update.

Louis

#10 alittlehelp

alittlehelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2009 - 03:20 PM

Good advice louis.

Although, I'm still baffled - Everything was working fine until recent SP updates.
Thought about removing/disabling the .CPT extension from the system and program. I never save files in that
bloated format anyway. (some earlier works were saved with the default extension).
.CPT is native to Corel Photo Paint so I doubt an upgrade/full purchase would be worth the expense just to find the
problem isn't solved....

Thanks

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2009 - 03:43 PM

An "update" to an existing program...is not an "upgrade" to a newer version of said program.

I believe I suggested "update".

I found this to be true earlier in life when dealing with many issues associated with having Microsoft Office installed. MS puts out updates that users never install and then wonder why their programs don't function properly when such updates were issued (often) to solve the problems which users experience with a given version.

Louis

#12 alittlehelp

alittlehelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2009 - 04:05 PM

I stand corrected.

Thanks

#13 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2009 - 07:22 PM

IMHO for what it's worth. M/S office is very touchy about updates. I.E. Net Framework. Some times when you update a new SP many other things need to be updated to match/jive/get along with the new SP. I don't know why. That for people that know more than I do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users