Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

which programs do you run?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 thespankguy

thespankguy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 19 July 2005 - 12:02 PM

i currently have mcafee security center which has a great firewall and a virus scan. i also have adaware, spybot s&d, spyware guard, mcafee stinger, spyware blaster, microsoft antispyware, and cc cleaner. i don't want to run them all at the same time because it uses a significant amount of ram when i do that, and and a lot of the programs give me the same notice if something tries to access the internet or if a registry value is changed. i was just wondering what all programs you guys would recommend i run all the time, and which ones just to use periodically to scan for spyware and viruses.

edit: when i say "all the time" i mean like have them running in the background with the little icon in the system tray

Edited by thespankguy, 19 July 2005 - 12:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 19 July 2005 - 02:27 PM

The only things you have listed, that run "all the time", are Spyware Guard (uses very little resources[6,352K]), Mcafee Security Center, and Spybot's TeaTimer(7,324K), if you have that active.

The others, Ad-aware, Spybot's scanner, Mcafee Stinger, and CCleaner, only run, when you decide to run them.

Spyware Blaster only becomes active, when it detects something that needs to be addressed.
Microsoft Antispyware, I'm not sure of, since I don't use it.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 ~overkill~

~overkill~

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 19 July 2005 - 03:57 PM

currently norton 2005, ms antispy, search n destroy

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 19 July 2005 - 04:09 PM

I have Anti-Vir running, along with RegProt, SpywareBlaster, and giving Agnitum Outpost a test run at the moment. I guess I have Adaware's active guard running also.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users