Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU overheating error...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tigerlilycs

tigerlilycs

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:14 AM

Hello there!

I am new to this forum and I have a question I'm hoping someone can help me with. I have a 3 year old desktop that I built myself a couple years ago. I will post the specs later if I need to. I'm at work at the moment and don't have all the info.

Anywho, I have an old hard drive and zip drive that I want to install in my existing machine, but I am out of IDE ports, so I purchased a PCI Express IDE card and installed it. Once I got everything hooked up and I booted the machine, it shut itself off after a few seconds, and then I started getting an error on bootup saying the CPU was overheating. I started removing the new components one by one thinking it was one of them causing the problem, since I didn't have an overheating problem before. I ended up putting everything back the way it was before I installed the PCI Express card, HD and Zip and it was still shutting itself off after a few seconds and giving me this "overtemp" error.

When I built the machine I used the thermal paste between the cpu and heat sink, and in searching online for a solution to my problem I found a thread someone had posted suggesting the problem may be the thermal paste is no good anymore....SO I cleaned off the old thermal paste and applied new and viola! it fixed my overheating problem.

Now here's my actual question...what the heck caused this overheating problem to persist even after I removed all the newly installed components and drives, considering I didn't have a problem before?? I didn't touch the heat sink and cpu while installing these items, yet somehow in the process my thermal paste went bad?? Yes my overheating problem is solved and I'm happy about that BUT my HD and zip still are not installed. Is it possible the PCI Express card was bad? Should I return it for another? what precautions should I take to make sure this doesn't happen again? How can I install my HD and zip without this problem occuring again?

Any tips or advice would be helpful.

Thanks!!! :thumbsup:

Edited by tigerlilycs, 24 August 2009 - 10:16 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:33 AM

If you had a weak marginal power supply, the extra components might have lowered the voltages?

Kind of a straw that broke the camel's back effect.

Old hard drive and zip drive might well be bad?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 tigerlilycs

tigerlilycs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:45 AM

Thanks DaChew. Well i know the HD is good because I put it into a barebones as the sole HD, loaded XP onto it and it works fine. I also installed the zip drive in the same barebones and although Windows recognizes it, and I installed the latest driver, it won't read any data on the actual disks, so that's actually another issue I'm trying to fix as well...lol I know the zip drive worked on my old 98 machine!

Edited by tigerlilycs, 24 August 2009 - 10:45 AM.

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:48 AM

Drives can go bad by just sitting as bearings freeze? Sometimes a strong power supply can get them unfrozen.

These problems can be hard to sort out.
Chewy

#5 tigerlilycs

tigerlilycs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:54 AM

Oh I forgot to mention, I have a 400W PS.

So if the zip drive was bad, would Windows still recognize it? Also, the little light comes on on the front of the drive when I insert the disk. I apologize if I sound dumb, I am still learning :thumbsup:

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2009 - 11:00 AM

With ide devices you also have to worry about master/slave/cable select jumpers and the cable(pata) position?

You might double check everything, google should show some pictures?
Chewy

#7 tigerlilycs

tigerlilycs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2009 - 11:12 AM

I did have that problem with my cd/dvd rom drive. i had the jumper set i think on master and it wasn't showing up in Explorer, Device Mgr or Computer Mgmt. I moved the jumper and it was fixed. As I said though, it is recognizing the drive and even allowed me to update the driver for it. In Device mgr it shows the device is working properly. Are there any other reasons that would cause it to not read disks? When I insert a disk it reconizes that there is a disk there, but it says 0 files. I know there are files on there. I'm a bit less concerned about the zip not working as I am about the overheating issue. I've lived without those zip ziles for about 4 years now, I can wait a little longer...lol :thumbsup:

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2009 - 02:30 PM

If those zip disks have close to a CRT monitor or some speakers then they are toast.

http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181

Depending upon the age of your computer this utility has a sensor module that shows voltage and temperature
Chewy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users