Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WIndows XP Home (Restore PC)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 yeahrightfl

yeahrightfl

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:51 AM

My Cousin has a PC that is one of thos where when all goes bad and a re-install is needed, you restore windows, with a "restore" disk. Problem is, she doesn't have the "restore disk". BUT, she does have a full version of Windows 98 Home Edition. When starting to install the full version, installation errors come up stating the version she is loading is an older version of the current one, etc. We stopped before procedding, not wanting to screw her pc up any further than it is. Can she proceed installing this full version, or does she need to get the "Restore" windows software somehow?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:13 AM

It's a matter of choice.

Reinstall is a vague phrase...do you mean a clean install (one where everything currently on the drive is wiped out and a new install of XP is made) or do you mean a repair install (one which replaces all system files but leaves all programs and data files intact)?

A reinstall/recovery/restore set of disks offers one alternative, while an actual MS XP Home CD offers another set of alternatives.

If you are trying to do a repair install (sounds like it, IMO)...then there are certain rules that come into play. The one you are confronted with is the fact that XP is set up so that the current version installed...cannot be repaired by a version which has an SP-level reflected that is not equal to or greater than than the version installed.

E.g., I have SP3 installed on my systems. I have all sorts of valid, licensed XP Home CDs (some which reflect no SP, some which reflect SP1, some which reflect SP2, some which reflect SP3. I can only use the CDs reflecting SP3 to do a repair install on my current system...because it reflects SP3. If the system reflected only SP2 or SP1...I could use any CD for XP Home which includes either SP2 or SP3.

The smart (IMO) way of overcoming this is to create a new XP install CD, a process called slipstreaming.

Slipstreaming Windows XP To Create a Bootable Windows XP CD or DVD - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/slipstreaming-windows-xp-to-create-bootable-cd/

There are many guides on the Internet which describe how to create an updated/slipstreamed XP install CD...the result will be the same, but the steps taken will vary depending on the thought processes of the author.

IMO, the easiest way to create a slipstreamed XP install CD...is to use the nLite tool.

nLite - Deployment Tool for Unattended Windows - Guide - http://www.nliteos.com/guide/index.html

The other alternative is, of course, to request copies from the system manufacturer...of restore/recovery CDs.

If the intent is to do a clean install, you can just use the XP Home CD as is. But the first step should be to just delete any existing install partition that currently exists, using the XP CD.

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

XP Clean Install - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

Louis

#3 yeahrightfl

yeahrightfl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:24 AM

Yes, a clean install is what we are after. Just didn't know if it would have any ill effects since the pc is one of those that did not come with a windows disk, just a "recover" disk, that she does not have. I guess there is a partition on the c drive that stores the quasi permanent windows info. Can you elaborate on how to delete that partition? It that an option when she boots from the xp home edition disk? Sorry for the ignorance :>)

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:51 AM

Since you want to do a clean install...change the boot options in the BIOS so that the CD/DVD drive is the first choice.

Insert CD.

Reboot.

When presented with screen showing current uwanted install, elect to delete that partition. If other partitions are reflected, delete those also.

Determine desired size for new install of XP, create partition/format/install XP.

The link provided for doing a clean install should reiterate this.

Be sure to write down XP key/license data before doing all this....both the one for the current install and the one for the MS copy of XP Home.

Just a reminder...the license for XP Home cannot be used for another system on which it is already installed.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users