Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to recover data from a windows protected drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cylon

cylon

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 24 August 2009 - 07:30 AM

I had a drive fail giving me a " read error" on boot. I had a password set up in windows. I installed a new drive and set up the failed drive as a slave. I can see my data on the old drive, but it will not allow me to open or copy my main folder in the "document and settings" area because of the windows password. Is there any way to get to the data in "My documents" and my "desktop" on the windows password protected disk? I would really appreciate anyone's input that can help. I my using xp home.

Thanks,

cylon

Edited by cylon, 24 August 2009 - 07:36 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,277 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:53 AM

The password only has importance when trying to boot into that O/S installed.

Since you are not trying to do that, you can access any/all data files...normally.

The exception occurs with the Documents & Settings folders, due to the way that they are set up. It's easily overcome by a procedure known as "taking ownership" of the files in question.

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

http://www.winxptutor.com/ownership.htm

Louis

#3 cylon

cylon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:19 AM

I wish that were true, but whenever I try to access the data folder which contains my documents and desktop I get the message "access denied" and the folder will not open. I think this would be true if I could access my original Windows, but since this is another install it does not seem to work. I have tried to take ownership as described in the articles you provided. I appreciate your assistance, and if you have any more idea's, I will appreciate them

thanks,

cylon

Edited by cylon, 24 August 2009 - 10:25 AM.

#4 cylon

cylon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2009 - 11:31 AM

Louis,

YOU WERE RIGHT AND I WAS WRONG! I went back and retried gain access with the information you provided and it "WORKED". I now can recover my lost data. Thank you very much for your assistance. I owe you one.

cylon

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,277 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2009 - 11:55 AM

Well done, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users