Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless card not detected

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ncapo

ncapo

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 24 August 2009 - 07:23 AM

I recently installed Windows Vista Business on my computer as a clean install because I had a upgrade disk that came with my Windows XP computer. My computer is a Dell Vostro 1510. The only reason I would ever do this is for security updates since XP is towards the end of its life. Whenever I try to connect to the internet my computer acts as if it doesn't have a wireless card. I downloaded Uniblue DriverScanner 2009 which is freeware but it makes you pay to download the drivers but still allows you to see what drivers you need. Here is a screenshot from my latest scan (1, below). There doesn't seen to be anything relating to my Wireless card. I went to Intel's website to update the drivers under the System devices tab but they still show up. Since I've installed Windows Vista my Device Manager shows that there are errors with some of my devices (2, below). Under Other Devices, Network Controller and Video Controller won't even show a brand or website so I can't attempt to find the driver download.

Posted Image

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:24 AM

Welcome to bleepingcomputer!

Your best bet would be to download the drivers off the dell website: http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?c=us&a...se&~ck=anav .

The drivers on this page are also for Vista 32-bit.

EDIT: I noticed the page I posted has two different graphics drivers, one for Nvidia and one for Intel. I'm not sure which your system has but I would probably say Intel. If you have nvidia graphics, usually there's a sticker near the keyboard where the Intel and Windows stickers usually are.

Edited by Sterling14, 24 August 2009 - 09:27 AM.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 ncapo

ncapo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:03 AM

Thanks a lot for the help! I ended up finding the solution by myself but I want to leave this topic here for people that are having the same problem. First, you have to use the drivers at the link in Sterling14's post http://is.gd/2wtMl. The drivers I needed to download for a Dell Vostro 1510 computer were R209077 and R179542. The proper names for those files are the Ethernet driver and wireless LAN driver. I sure hope that Windows 7 fixes some of these major driver issues when upgrading from a previous OS.

Nicholas C
Follow @NicCapo on Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users