Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connecting external monitor for laptop

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ploder

ploder

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 24 August 2009 - 07:10 AM

Greetings. I am trying to connect my laptop to an external CRT monitor. All setup correctly and it displays on the external monitor up until the Windows XP boot screen. After boot screen the display switches back to laptop and screen goes blue on CRT monitor (a plain blue colored screen with no writing) The function for switching between monitors for this laptop is Fn+F5. This only works up until the boot screen. It does not work when the CRT goes to a blue screen as mentioned above. Help!

Display properties shows both monitors as 1 and 2 as follows:
Posted Image
Posted Image

The emboldened settings are the ones I am currently using.

Laptop
R100 Portege
Windows XP Pro SP3
997Mhz
1.25 GB RAM
Trident Video Accelerator Cyber -XP4 v6.4823-103.22_2 Driver: v6.12.16 (most recent)
Bios: Toshib 970814 v1.60 (most recent)
Refresh rates: 60 Hz only
Resolutions: 800x600 - 1024x768 pixels
Color quality: 16bit/32bit

CRT monitor
iiyama Vision Master 400 - S701GT
Refresh rates: 60 Hz 75Hz 85Hz or 100Hz
Resolutions: 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024, 1600x1200, 1920x1440 or 2048x1536
Color quality: 16bit/32bit

Edited by ploder, 24 August 2009 - 07:19 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ploder

ploder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2009 - 10:47 AM

Ah, I'm such a dumb ass. I figured it out. The problem was that in the display properties of the secondary monitor "extend my windows desktop onto this monitor" was checked. I unchecked this and the CRT switched off. But I then found out I could switch between displays using Fn+F5! (both laptop and CRT mirrored/laptop display only/CRT display only)I wonder how many other people this has flummoxed?

When that option is checked windows treats both monitors as one. After some research I believe this is known as 'stretched' or 'extended'. It allows you to treat the other monitor as extra space. What is on the primary monitor cannot be on the secondary and vice versa. The problem for noobs though is that if you don't move your cursor off screen to the right on the primary display you would never know that the secondary monitor is working because all you see is a blue screen. Unchecking "extend my windows desktop onto this monitor" for the secondary monitor tells windows to get out of 'stretched' or 'extended' mode and allows you to use your laptops fn+F5/F8 screen switch to get into 'clone' or 'mirrored' mode and switch primary monitors.

Edited by ploder, 25 August 2009 - 12:26 PM.

#3 Trinpim

Trinpim

• Banned
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2009 - 01:36 AM

To hook laptop to TV, the display mode is required to be changed to
Multiple Display Mode. Normally the monitor is set on single display
mode. Pls refer to below guidance to set up the display mode to Multiple
Display Mode:

Window XP
Desktop (right click ) ->Properties -> Settings-> Advanced -> Graphics
Media Accelerator Driver -> Graphics Properties -> Multiple Display (two
display must be connected to computer before you could use this function)

Window Vista
Desktop (right click) ->Personalize -> Display Settings-> Advanced
Setting-> Graphics Media Accelerator Driver -> Graphics Properties ->
Multiple Display (two display must be connected to computer before you
could use this function)

Please tune the TV international standard to the NTSC and PAL model .
Then please refer to the software of the graphic card, it maybe
mentioned how to set the interface if output to the TV.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users