Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP/7 os Selection

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 tikimonster

tikimonster

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 24 August 2009 - 07:07 AM

I installed Windows 7 on a separate partition to dual boot with XP. The installation never finalized and the partition was deleted, the computer booted into XP. However the next time i restarted the PC it went to the os selection menu with the options Windows 7 and Earlier version of windows. It defaults to Windows 7 but it is no longer there. i can still get into XP.

So how do I remove the W7 option? Also in the startup and recovery section of System in Control Panel, there is only XP showing.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT /USEPMTIMER

Any ideas

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:49 AM

I think that the problem...is the Win 7/Vista bootloader...still remains on your system.

These two O/Ses use a different bootloader than XP...which, when installed, supercede the XP bootloader and reflect XP as "an earlier version." So, your current bootscreen options reflect the Win 7/Vista bootloader, not the XP boot.ini file.

To remove it (after I had installed the Win 7 beta and removed it earlier this year), I used Easy BCD from within XP.

http://www.windowsreference.com/windows-vi...-windows-vista/

If that doesn't do the trick, I'm pretty sure someone in the Vista or Win 7 forum will have an easy way to do it.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users