Jump to content


 


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.


Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Various issues with remote access to server


  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_WelshSteve_*

Guest_WelshSteve_*

  • Guests
  • OFFLINE
  •  

Posted 24 August 2009 - 03:17 AM

Hi everyone. I'm not very good at troubleshooting this type of problem and was wondering if anybody could help me.

I had to replace our router at work due to the old one failing. The old one was a NETGEAR DG834G v2, and the new one is the same model but v5 (DG834G v5).

Here's the situation.

We have an SSL certificate installed on our server which was activated and working correctly prior to the router problem.

Basically, the SSL certificate allowed access to Outlook Web Access for our staff at: https://www.ourdomain.com/exchange

We also have Hamachi LogMeIn installed on the server to allow people to access their emails and the server shares on their local desktops at home or on their laptops and smartphones.

This was all working fine prior to the router problem.

I setup all the firewall rules exactly as they were on the old router (see attached image), but access to either of these services is not working. Nor am I able to remote desktop to the external IP of the server, which I could do before. I've tried pinging the external IP of the server, again with no luck. The one thing that does appear to be working is remote access to the router via our external ip on port 8080.

The only change to our network has been the router, so not quite sure why having the same firewall rules on the new router should stop this all working.

Posted Image

Here's the additional rule/service I added for remote desktop connection.

Posted Image

I tried an online port scan of the external IP address and it shows ports 25, 80, 443 and 8080 are responding. It doesn't show 3389 responding even though I've added the rule to allow it.

Is anybody familiar with these routers and able to assist at all?

Many thanks in advance.

Steve

Edited by WelshSteve, 24 August 2009 - 03:38 AM.


BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

 


#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

  • Members
  • 2,629 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male

Posted 24 August 2009 - 05:40 AM

Do you have the settings from the old router written down or can you still access the old router? If you just have them written down, I am willing to bet there was an error somewhere. Either between the old router and the paper or the paper and the new router.

If you have access(ie it still allows the web interface) you could back the settings up from the old router and try to restore them on the new one. With them being different versions I don't know if that would work but its worth a try. If backing up and restoring doesn't work but you are still able to see the old web interface, double and triple check that the old and the new are set up the same.

I am willing to bet it is something as silly as a period out of place or a number transposed. Least I hope so lol. That's an easy fix.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College


#3 Guest_WelshSteve_*

Guest_WelshSteve_*

  • Guests
  • OFFLINE
  •  

Posted 24 August 2009 - 05:56 AM

I tried backing up and restoring the settings from the old router before I did anything else, but the file wasn't compatible, which is crazy I think.

I have checked I copied them all over and it's definitely the same settings I've entered.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

  • Members
  • 2,629 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 24 August 2009 - 06:31 AM

It saves it as a .cfg file. You can open them in Wordpad, notepad is a mess lol.

Looking at mine from my Belkin, I can see at the top it has all sorts of info about my firmware version and the like. Perhaps copy all the setting part from the old into the new .cfg file or the heading from the new to the old. I am willing to bet it will work =)

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College


#5 Guest_WelshSteve_*

Guest_WelshSteve_*

  • Guests
  • OFFLINE
  •  

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:54 AM

I tried that but it didn't work. Its resolved now. It would appear that although the relevant services were started, they were running a file called Temp under the IIS Manager (no idea why).




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users