Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WinXP Virus?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 jgrant911

jgrant911

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 24 August 2009 - 12:55 AM

When I powered up my Toshiba Satellite Laptop with Win XP Pro SP3 yesterday morning it started fine but when I tried to open Word I got the "Word has encountered a problem and must close" error. After some checking I determined that this was true for several other apps including Excel 2003, PowerPoint, OneNote and Explorer. Also PC-Cillin and Messenger won't start but give no error. I downloaded Trend Micro Housecall on another machine, put it un a flash drive and tried to run it on the laptop. It gives the same error. I have run disk check which found and repaired a number of problems but I still get the same error on trying to start the apps I mentioned. I did run CCleaner as well which cleaned up some registry problems but did not improve the main problem.

I have never seen this problem before and it's starting to look like some odd virus or registry problem. So far have not had any luck trying to resolve it. Anyone else have this problem or have a suggestion of how to fix it?

Thanks,

Jim

*** I've moved this post to the Virus forum ***

Edited by jgrant911, 24 August 2009 - 10:11 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users