Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

High memory usage from System

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 pleaselucky

pleaselucky

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 24 August 2009 - 12:24 AM

My computer has been very noisy and working hard recently after I removed the viruses/malware following the support's instructions on this forum.

I open the task manager and I find out System taking up to 60k-80k memory usage but only aorund 0-3 CPU. Image name is System. There's no .exe after. Username is System. I'm thinking these two maybe are the cause and effect. I try ending System process but nothing happens and I get an access denied warning when I try to set it to a lower priority. So I'm really wondering whats the problem here.

I'll be glad if someone could help me out here.
Thanks a lot.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Delta16

Delta16

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 24 August 2009 - 02:26 AM

Check the start up list of this forum, and check all the processes with the start-up list to see if any of them should or should not be there.

Start-up List

Hope that helps

#3 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:11 AM

That observation regarding the System process in Task Manager sounds pretty good to me.

Expand your TM window a bit and you can click the column headers (like CPU) to sort and see who is consuming the most. You want System Idle Process to be at the top for CPU when you are not doing "anything". 80s and 90s are generally good. If something else is taking too much CPU, then you see who it is and decide what to do about it.

You can sort my the Mem Usage column to see where your memory is going, etc. The columns display will get updated and bounce around.

I like to click View, Select Columns and add the VM Size column to see what is happening to Virtual Memory. Expand TM wider to see the columns if needed. Spybot's resident TeaTimer is a VM hog if you ever use it!

Some things you may have installed (such as real time monitoring softwares) will take up a lot of CPU and memory, so they may need to be reconfigured, uninstalled, etc.

What kind of anti virus/malware software do you have installed?

You can download the free Process Explorer from www.sysinternals.com to drill down under each process to see more about what is going on. PE is like a magnifying glass that lets you see every process and under every process and terminate suspicious things to see if your system behaves better. It won't fix it, but you will know what it is and then you can fix what needs fixing.

Can you better define what noisy and working hard means?

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,232 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:26 AM

There are (at least) two processes which should be apparent in any system running XP:

System process, which is XP and a few non-XP (but vital) processes.

System Idle Process, which reflects the inactivity of the CPU when the system is not working hard. The higher the number for this, the better...fewer system resources are being used.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb896653.aspx

Use the above link to get a tool if you really want to investigate these processes listed under Task Manager.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users