Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Home does not boot

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 honfire

honfire

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 24 August 2009 - 12:17 AM

After using malwarebytes to remove malware/spyware it asked to reboot my computer so I did. Now I cant boot my windows xp home edition. I tried booting to safemode or last known good configuration but it keeps restarting after I select any of those. Please help. Thank you. I do not have the Windows disk on hand. I may need to download boot files to get my computer back up and running. I just dont know where to get them.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 24 August 2009 - 01:23 AM

Return to the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" and choose "Last known good configuration that worked", and press the Enter key. The computer will attempt to load Windows.

If Windows does not start, try the same thing again .... and continue trying for at least 10 times, before you rule that option out as a means of getting your OS up and running again, normally.

Why 10 times? Based on past experience, a successful result is sometimes achieved after several consecutive failed attempts.
-----------

If the above fails:

The next thing you should do is to get a look at the error message presented by the BSOD (blue screen of death).
Start tapping the F8 key after you press the ON button, and continue tapping until you are presented with the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" screen. Use the UP/DOWN arrow keys to select "Disable automatic restart on system failure" and press the Enter key. Your system will attempt to restart normally, but when it crashes, it will not re-start. Instead, you will see a BSOD with error message. Record the error message in full detail, and post in this thread.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 honfire

honfire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2009 - 02:24 AM

Thanks for your help this is what it reads...

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (oxF7B61524, 0xc0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2009 - 02:33 AM

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (oxF7B61524, 0xc0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Oh good, that should be an easy one to fix.

Follow the directions in this link ...

http://thinkinginpixels.com/quick-fixes/fi...ror-0x0000007b/

Good luck and please let us know the result.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#5 honfire

honfire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2009 - 12:41 PM

Hi,

The solution requires me to have a Restore/Recovery CD on hand which I do not have. What can i do to get that as a download?

#6 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 26 August 2009 - 12:44 PM

You can make a bootable Recovery Console CD by downloading an ISO file and burning it to a CD.

The same XP Recovery Console commands can be run from the bootable Recovery Console CD.

The bootable ISO image file you need to download is called:

xp_rec_con.iso

Download the ISO file from here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?ueyyzfymmig

Use this free and easy program to create your bootable CD:

http://www.imgburn.com/

It would be a good idea to test your bootable CD on the computer that is working.

You may need to adjust the computer BIOS settings to use the CD ROM drive as the first boot device instead of the hard disk. These adjustments are made before Windows tries to load. If you miss it, you will have to reboot the system again.

When you boot on the CD, follow the prompts:

Press any key to boot from CD...

The Windows Setup... will proceed.

Press 'R' to enter the Recovery Console.

Select the installation you want to access (usually 1: C:\WINDOWS)

You may be asked to enter the Administrator password (usually empty).

You should be in the C:\SYSTEM folder. This is the same as the C:\WINDOWS folder you see in explorer.

RC allows basic file commands - copy, rename, replace, delete, cd, chkdsk, fixboot, fixmbr, etc.

From the command prompt window run the chkdsk command on the drive where Windows is installed to try to repair any problems on the afflicted drive. Running chkdsk is fine to run even if it doesn't find any problems.

Assuming your boot drive is C, run the following command:

chkdsk C: /r

Let chkdsk finish and correct any problems it might find. It may take a long time to complete or appear to be 'stuck'. Be patient. If the HDD light is still flashing, it is doing something. Keep an eye on the percentage amount to be sure it is still making progress.

Remove the CD and type 'exit' to leave the RC and restart the computer.

You do not have to adjust the BIOS again to boot on the HDD since the CD will
not be present.

Here is additional information about how to start Recovery Console:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058

Here is additional information about the Recovery Console commands you
will be using:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058

Edit: stupid typos

Edited by joseibarra, 26 August 2009 - 03:06 PM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#7 honfire

honfire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2009 - 12:50 PM

I will try this...Thanks for the quick reply...you guys are the best :thumbsup:

#8 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2009 - 05:37 PM

The solution requires me to have a Restore/Recovery CD on hand which I do not have.

The thinkinginpixels fix for the 7b error requires that you have an XP installation disk with Service Pack 1 or higher (not a Restore/Recovery CD). If you do not have one of these, perhaps you could borrow one from a friend. It does not matter whether it is Home or Pro version. You may need to do that, if the Recovery Console and running chkdsk /r method does not fix your issue, and my below suggestion fails to apply.
---------
You have not provided details of your system, so we have little information to work with here.
There is another possibility that you could examine, namely that you are using a SATA hard drive and do not have it configured in ATA/IDE compatible mode, and this is causing the problem.
Check this by entering the BIOS Setup Menu.
Examine the configuration of the hard drive, and the available options.
If it is not currently configured in the ATA/IDE compatible mode, then change it to that mode. Save your changes and exit, to restart your system.
Does that overcome the problem?
------------
If your problem persists, please supply full details of your system.
Please also describe in detail exactly how far your system progresses with booting into Windows, before it crashes to the BSOD.
Do you remember any detail of any messages given by MBAM (Malwarebytes Antimalware) when you were asked to re-boot?
Do you remember any detail of what "malware/spyware" was found and being removed by MBAM?

Please provide any other details or information that may possibly be relevant.
--------------------
You may be interested to follow the progress of this current thread ...

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/top...ml#entry1400614
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#9 honfire

honfire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2009 - 11:51 PM

I followed the instructions on thinkinpixels... I get the same result. I am able to load the Bart program and all...but after following the instructions then rebooting it does the same thing. I am able to go to a dos command using the bart PE. What do you suggest I do next? I'm still stuck.

#10 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2009 - 01:24 AM

I'm still stuck.

You're stuck! I'm stuck!

Can you answer any of the questions that have already been asked in previous posts?

Can you supply any more information on matters already raised in previous posts?

Please elaborate in detail on what you have done already, including whether you have read and tried the other suggestions, and what the results were.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users