Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

32inch HDTV resolution?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 megatrep

megatrep

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 23 August 2009 - 10:50 PM

So I'm trying to hook up a 32" Polaroid HDTV to my computer as a monitor using VGA connection. The problem is 1280x768 seems to be the best resolution, but does not reach both left/right ends of the TV. The "Full" option on the TV stretches the image to fill the screen (but it is stretched), while the "Normal" aspect option fills top to bottom with the right ratios, but leaves about an inch of blank space on each left+right side between where the screen ends and where the image begins.
I am using NVIDIA Geforce 9800GTX+ with up to date drivers. Is there a way I can fill up (use all the screen) the TV with my desktop, and not lose those 2 inches on both sides?
Help appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 24 August 2009 - 07:30 AM

The TV resolution is likely 1366x768, which is not normally a resolution available with a computer video card, which relies on EDID (Extended Display Identification Data). There is no standard EDID code for 1366x768, the closest available is 1360x765. In List All Modes setting for the Display Adapter, this or 1360x768 may be available, and would give the closest approximation to correct. Then the results will depend on how effectively the scaler in the TV scales the source signal. There will always be a compromise using a TV as a monitor.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 megatrep

megatrep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 24 August 2009 - 02:56 PM

I tried 1360x768 before I posted, and it simply failed in my face for whatever reason. But I created a custom resolution in my NVIDIA Control Panel for 1366x768 and it now works beautifully.
I'm still no where near understanding all the reasoning (settings, EDID, resolutions, etc) behind what works and what doesn't. I just know that it works great now. :D
So thank you very much!

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 27 August 2009 - 05:06 AM

Good result! Hard to say why a custom 1366 is happy when 1360 was no good, but computers can be odd sometimes... :thumbsup:

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users