Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows won't start

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Camelot

Camelot

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 23 August 2009 - 10:18 PM

I read the tutorials on cleaning out the dust in a pc. I took off the cover and used a vacuum cleaner to suck most of it out. It was mostly around the CPU and the heatsink vanes. I tried getting the front off as I read in another link from the dirty pc link and I couldn't get it off. So, I just looked under and seen the space where the air goes in and cleaned out a huge hairball. I'm thinking all along that maybe this is why my pc is running slow because it was dirty.

I plugged everything back in and got this when windows tried coming on:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
System32\Drivers\Ntfs.sys

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM.
Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

The only problem I have with that is I don't have the disk. This is one of 3 pc's that are running XP and the disk is at work. Plus, I downloaded that Cobian backup. I think that is what it was called and had another question about it and didn't get to post it and thought the dust cleanup would have been problem free. So no back up. But, I do have pictures and bookmarks saved from last week plus documents and other stuff.

I thought maybe of taking it apart again and just checking connections. But, if someone knows what this is, maybe they can tell me to just undo the RAM I took out to look at what kind it was and put it back and it is not in right and that is why I am getting this error message. Or, some other idea on I have this message.

Thanks for your help!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 23 August 2009 - 11:34 PM

Microsoft article about your issue: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555531

In the article you would need Windows XP Disk which you do not have.
But if you can download Recovery Console ISO from here : RC.ISO you can burn it to a CD and boot into recovery console using this CD just like an XP CD.

For fixing your problem, you would need ntfs.sys file from the Windows XP CD. You do not have that CD. But you can copy from another Windows XP computer.

Next you would need to put this file in RC.ISO so you ca copy it from recovery console. For this, download MagicISO and open RC.ISO in it. Put the the file ntfs.sys in the RC.ISO and save it.

Burn this image to a CD, using a tool like ImgBurn ( http://www.imgburn.com/ ).
How to burn ISO image : http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=61

Now you can use this CD to boot into recovery console.

After booting into recovery console as said in the Microsoft article, just copy the ntfs.sys from the CD onto your hard disk.

OR

connect your hard disk to another system as a secondary drive and overwrite \windows\system32\drivers\ntfs.sys with a healthy one.

Edited by Romeo29, 23 August 2009 - 11:42 PM.

#3 Camelot

Camelot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:09 AM

I am still on my laptop. I copied the RC.ISO to a CD and copied that ntfs.sys file from this laptop to the CD as well. It seemed to copy ok using the Wizard on here. Since I never really "Burned" anything before!! But, Now I just went and downloaded the MagicISO and that is on my desktop (where the downloads go). I got the recent version made on 8/2/09 ver 5.5(build 276). Don't know why they have all the other versions listed on that site. I just chose the top one. :thumbsup: I haven't done anything with it yet because I am confused.

To open MagicISO on this laptop I can probably double click on it or go into the Start/Run and find it and open it there. It might be self explanatory but I will be stuck if I have a problem and won't be able to go back online if it goes awry. So to be clear. When I get that MagicISO to open up will it ask for that RC.ISO file??? Because you state to "open RC.ISO in it." Then, put that other ntfs.sys file in the RC.ISO. Now, I get confused again. When I save it, it will be saved to the CD or does it get saved in the RC.ISO? I did go to the Tutorial and seen the page as it would appear. So, that will be on my desktop and I will still be able to go online or it will keep me online? The, I need to go into the CD and move the file that I put there to the RC.ISO? Or, I didn't need to transfer it to the CD from this laptop, I could have transferred it from the laptop to that RC.ISO?

I went to imgburn and when I clicked on Download at the top left it brought me to a page where I guess I have to chose which one to download.

http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

Do I click on Mirror 8 provided by Imgburn? Or, where it says "Burn" in the same row as "Ads by Google"?

I went to that other link in the forum. I guess when I get this far it will be ok. Or, I will be ok I mean to say!!

Then, once this CD is done. I will put it in my pc and when I start it up, It will read the CD and I guess a prompt appears and I hit "R" if there are several choices? Or, is this like the boot in safe mode where you just have to keep hitting the F8 to get it to stop booting up normally only I will be keep hitting the "R"? Then, I just type in all the stuff they say on that MS page.

I would really like to know what happened to this file. Is it something that I did when I cleaned it? I did wake up in the middle of the night sort of like having a pc nightmare LOL and I remembered I used some Rootblahblah that I found on here for cleaning out a dirty pc. It made 2 logs. I think it was about finding files that should have been deleted when I deleted stuff and these files weren't and this program would find them. I can't really rememebr and don't feel like trying to find all those links now. I want to get this posted so I can get my pc up and running again.

Edited: I finally found the link that I used yesterday trying to clean up the pc.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
I ran the DDS and RootRepeal in case when I cleaned the dust and the pc was still slow I had these logs.

The other question I have is when I use this CD I am making. It is just to get this missing file back in there. Then, when I reboot, all my stuff will be there and I will be happy right!!

Thanks for your help! I like your avatar!

Edited by Camelot, 24 August 2009 - 09:58 AM.

#4 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,254 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2009 - 01:09 PM

Recovery Console sounds like the place to start.

After booting into RC, run chkdsk /r to verify the integrity of the file system.

These missing or corrupt file messages (whatever the file) indicate XP is at least trying to load, but is having a problem. The file really may be missing, but there are other things to check first.

The file system may have been compromised due to power failure, ungraceful shutdown, aborted restart, etc. Have any of things happened in recent memory?

When you boot RC, your prompt will be C:\SYSTEM. This is essentially the C:\WINDOWS folder in XP.

Trying to just copy files around may not work for long, or at all if the file system is corrupted.

If chkdsk /r doesn't find a problem, great. If it does find a problem, it will try to fix it.

On a regular boot, XP looks for the ntfs.sys file in the C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS folder. If chkdsk /r did not fix the problem and the file is really missing or corrupt just copy in a replacement that should already be on your system.

There should be a copy of ntfs.sys in the C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DLLCACHE folder you can copy if it needs to be copied, or you can copy it in just to be sure it really is not corrupt. If it is not in DLLCACHE, it is probably in one of several other places you can use as a copy source.

All this stuff can be done from RC.

Only do any file copying (if needed) after you have run chkdsk /r or you may not get very far.

This concept applies to so many of those corrupt of missing file messages at startup...

The message displayed is coming from XP so it is at least trying to load!

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#5 Camelot

Camelot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2009 - 02:48 PM

Well that is reassuring that it is trying to load.

But, I am still confused on those problems I addressed in my previous post.

I don't normally work on pc's and I already messed something up while working on mine.

Just don't know if it did happen when I popped it open and vacuumed it. I did shut it down normally. But, I did read in the thread to wear a static guard. I don't have one. And it stated to plug the pc in a power outlet (power point) and don't switch it on. I didn't do that since I didn't want to get shocked. I suppose clipping that static guard to the pc prevents shock.

I did pull out the RAM, is that what you were referring to in regards to memory?

Could it just be that I put it back in not securely?

I did put it in the right way and I do recall having to push down those side tabs. When I put it back in, I was able to close up those same tabs.

Thanks for helping!!

#6 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,254 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2009 - 03:17 PM

If you were poking around (not a bad thing in moderation), unplug the unit and reseat (unplug/replug) any wide ribbon cables, power connections, reseat the RAM, etc. like you did. Only unplug/replug one thing at a time to be sure you don't get mixed up.

Ventilation issues from hairballs and dust would probably cause the system to overheat first and then it will usually shut itself down and stay that way until it cools off for a while.

If you know how much RAM you have, it will display it on the screen before XP tries to load. Some motherboards will complain and stop if there is a serious RAM error.

If you don't have a static strap (or even if you do), before touching anything inside, touch an exposed metal part of the chassis/frame to discharge any static charge you might have. If you can keep skin in contact with the metal chassis the whole time you are working (ground yourself), that is as good as a static strap. Most things you want to unplug/replug can be done with one hand. Keep your other hand on some metal frame piece.

Finish your poking around and if you get distracted and leave the area, discharge yourself before starting again to be sure.

It could be that your other software cleaning tools really whacked the ntfs.sys file. It could be malicious code (malware). If it is really missing, it is easy to replace with a good file system and the RC disc.

Make the RC disc, boot on it, run chkdsk /r first. If we need to replace ntfs.sys, we can do that next. You need to boot on something first.

Other options are more complicated, so I would start with the easiest first.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#7 Camelot

Camelot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2009 - 04:45 PM

The only things that I did unplug was the 2 Ram boards and I unscrewed the CPU cooling fan to get at those vanes and vacuumed that. It wasn't caked with dust on the other parts that were connected with plugs so I left all that alone.

That is good to know about keeping a hand on the outside of the box and holding it there. I need to add some RAM to my neighbors pc and I will just unscrew the screws and hold on the box while taking out what he has and putting in the new.

OK, so I am going to do that Magic thing and get a RC disk and put it in my pc.

I will see what happens next!

Just get paranoid about booting the RC disk cause I don't want to lose any of my programs that I have already installed. It will be so sweet if I do this and then can boot up normally and everything is the way it was yesterday morning!

I will check back to see if any more info is posted.

Thanks a lot!

#8 Camelot

Camelot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2009 - 05:04 PM

Well, I downloaded Magic and put the RC in there and then I dragged the ntfs file in there and saved it.

I read what to do next and it is to go to IMGBurn and download that. That is one of my questions that didn't get answered before. Which one do I download?
http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

I clicked next to "News" the download button and it brought me to a page with several choices.

I really can't go any farther until I know which one to download. I don't understand all the Mirror 1 through 8. Is it the 8th since it says it is provided by IMGBurn?

Please help me here.
Thanks

#9 Camelot

Camelot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2009 - 06:56 PM

Well I went and tried downloading that mirror 8 one and I got that up and trying to burn now. My problem is I don't have any CD's all I have are DVD+RW and apparently it didn't like it. Neighbors didn't have any CD's. I am now trying a DVD-R. It just keeps saying at the bottom of the IMGBurn screen that "Device not ready (medium not present-tray closed)"

So I either have to download a different IMGBurn from that site or try and get this RC to burn on this DVD.

OPen to ideas. Not practical to go to a store right now. But, if I do need to put this on a CD inside of a DVD then tomorrow I will have to make a run.

On the link that Romeo posted on how to burn a image, in the tutorial they are using a DVD-RW. So what it doesn't like DVD+RW? I am trying to figure this thing out maybe formatting the DVD. But, when I click on Verify on the IMGBurn page it still reads as the device ain't ready.

#10 Camelot

Camelot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2009 - 07:17 PM

OMG! I actually got the burning process done. I can't believe I found a blank CD-RW in a case inside all my pc stuff!!!

I just love the ending process on IMGBurn and they play that happy music stating it was successful :thumbsup:

Now to boot it up in the pc!!

#11 Camelot

Camelot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2009 - 07:54 PM

It is not working.

The CD is in
when I turn on the pc in the back it starts up
at the first page when I see writing I hit R
it comes up with a bunch of stuff on the screen about Disk and devices and at the bottom it says
press any key to boot from cd
I hit r again
then it says

Setup is inspecting your computer's hardware configuration...

then a blue screen comes up and at the top it says
Windows Setup

at the bottom in a white bar it says
Press F6 if you need to install a third party SCSI or Raid driver...

the next page in that same white bar now says
Setup is loading files (Windows Executive)...

Then in the middle of the screen it stated one time
File SetupDD.SYS could not be loaded
The error code is 4

This last time when I hit pause so I can write this stuff down it now says
File\i386\ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded
the error code is 32768
Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit.

I have a DVD installed on the pc and I have the original CD drive. I have tried using both of them.

There was never any prompt to type the stuff in from that MS help page.

On my CD I have 4 things
they are

a folder named I386
a file named ntfs
a file named WIN51
a file named WIN51IC

is this correct?
Will be signing off and checking back tomorrow

Thanks for your patience!!

#12 Camelot

Camelot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2009 - 04:02 PM

Hi all,
I was hoping someone would have responded to my dilemma. I don't want to take this in to be fixed and charged a couple of hundred dollars when I can try to do it.

I just want to know what I am doing wrong.

Do I have everything correct on the CD?

I don't understand why I am not seeing a prompt in DOS mode.

please help

#13 Camelot

Camelot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2009 - 06:31 PM

Well I got my pc up and running!!!!!

:thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:

Just kept reading and reading about nfts.sys and came across a site where some guy stated he took out his RAM and re-inserted it and his worked fine.

So that is why that CD never worked that I made.

I have been hitting sites on it and it is so much faster!!!

Cleaning out all that dust is what really did it.

Woo-Hoo!!!!

#14 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,254 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2009 - 09:47 PM

Yea! :thumbsup:

File SetupDD.SYS could not be loaded
The error code is 4

According to what I read from MS points to RAM. I thought you said you did the RAM installation recycle, but I was about to suggest it again. Do you reseat the reseated RAM threating it with your elbow touching the metal chassis this time? Switching the RAM in the slots will sometime "fix" the problem too although I don't think it has anything to do with the switching - it is the reseating.

I was wondering if when your system did the POST (Power On Self Test) if the RAM quantity displayed properly.

Hey, Romeo29 - the ntfs.sys should be on the HDD in the C:\Windows\servicepackfiles\i386 and C:\windows\system32\dllcache folder if it is ever really missing or suspicious from the drivers folder. That makes creating the RC easier with just the .ISO and imgburn.

The "unhappy" sound from imgburn is my Email Notification sound...

#15 Camelot

Camelot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2009 - 11:08 AM

I did not open up the unit again to check the insides when it was not booting up. I thought I did put the RAM back ok.

I did not touch my elbow to the chassis when I pulled out the RAM on both occasions. I read somewhere that if I touch the outside of the box I basically remove any threat of static that I might cause. Also, I am not wearing any sweaters here in Florida! Nor, was I working on a carpeted surface. So, I unplugged the unit and I let it sit for awhile and then I unscrewed the side to remove the panel.

I touched the outside of the box while I was removing dust from the vanes where the CPU is with a Q-Tip. But, I needed both hands using a flashlight and vacuum cleaner to suck out the rest in between the vanes. I never walked away from the unit to create any static. Then, I pulled out the RAM to see if I could see any writing on it letting me know what kind it is since this pc was built by my friend who is no longer with us :flowers:. Reason #1 why I refuse to let it go and want to just try and add or replace what ever needs to be done to make it faster. Besides, it is purple!

But, I ran the msinfo32 today and I do still have the 512MB so both boards are working ok. I did not switch the RAM boards. One of the clips on the side of a board was not on all the way. As soon as I saw that my heart screamed pure joy!! I just knew that was the problem. Just never thought that pulling out RAM could of gave me that error. I would have expected to see another warning come up stating "RAM not properly installed"!

I am not sure what POST is. But, right now I have 161MB free. I would think that is sufficient and maybe I need to upgrade the CPU. I did that in 2002 and changed it to Athlon 1.33GHz. Don't know if it matters what the Mother Board can handle. But, she was replaced in 2002 also to DFI AM75-TC.

I did have fun using that IMGBurn software. I loved reading the funny statements they put at the bottom of some of the windows or keeping my head in the sand!

My Email Notification is the buzzer sound from Star Trek when someone is at the door!

The unit is running a bit faster since cleaning out all the dust.

Thanks for helping! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users