Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP side of laptop wont boot

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Sega Dude

Sega Dude

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 23 August 2009 - 08:11 PM

When I try to boot the XP side of my laptop i get the following error:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<windowsroot>/system32/hal.dll
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

So i booted into Vista, downloaded hal.dll, deleted the one that was there, replaceed it with the downloaded one and when I rebooted I got the same error when trying to boot xp. Please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 23 August 2009 - 08:25 PM

The one that was where?

Just so we both know what we are talking about. :thumbsup:

#3 Sega Dude

Sega Dude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2009 - 09:45 PM

The one that was where?

Just so we both know what we are talking about. :thumbsup:

The hal.dll that was in the Windows Folder.

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2009 - 04:39 AM

Sorry. Was`t clear in my question.

Have not done dual-boot in a long time. Hoping if I am incorrect that some one will correct me.

There should be 2 Windows folders. One for each install. It would seem the hal.dll is missing from the XP windows folder. Is that the one you replaced?

#5 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,286 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2009 - 05:59 AM

Is your system dual boot with XP on one side and Vista on the other? My Vista experience is limited but I can sure tell you about XP and this problem.

I think there are other things to look at before replacing your hal.dll file. The message prompts people to immediately try to replace the hal.dll when that is so often not the problem. If you deleted and replaced it, you know it was there to begin with, I think it unlikely to have been corrupted.

The problem is more likely a compromised file system that chkdsk /r might fix or a corrupted boot.ini file. Have you experienced a power failure lately? Can you say it was working fine until one day I did...

Do you an XP installation CD to boot into Recovery Console or you can create a bootable Recovery Console CD if you need to. You should be able to rule out or fix either of those two problems. If chkdsk /r doesn't find anything, at least you will know what it's not. I suspect the boot.ini file.

If you are not sure about the contents of your boot.ini file, copy/paste it here for analysis It is a hidden system file in the root of your boot drive (C: usually), so adjust your explorer options to be able to locate/open it. If you can boot Vista, maybe you can get the boot.ini file that way.

Somebody else will surely tell me if I am not on the right path.

FYE:

The XP installation CD has 7 unexpanded hal.dlls depending on your hardware and the proper one gets expanded for your system when XP is installed. If you open Device Manager, expand Computer, you will see which of the 7 you have.

There may be more than one hal.dll found on your system, but there is only one "right" one to match your hardware. Hence, people sometimes see the message, copy in some other file called hal.dll they find someplace else and find they still have the original problem and now a new problem they don't even know about yet!

Edited by joseibarra, 24 August 2009 - 06:09 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#6 Sega Dude

Sega Dude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:46 AM

Sorry. Was`t clear in my question.

Have not done dual-boot in a long time. Hoping if I am incorrect that some one will correct me.

There should be 2 Windows folders. One for each install. It would seem the hal.dll is missing from the XP windows folder. Is that the one you replaced?

Yes, the one in the Windows XP folder.

joseibarra: I made a new partition in the 25gigs of unallocated space that I lost when I installed XP. That's when it stopped working. My laptop has been shutting off randomly. I only have one: Posted Image

#7 Sega Dude

Sega Dude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2009 - 09:48 AM

Sorry for the double post. I couldn't edit the first post. I ran chkdsk /r and it found and fixed one or more errors. Now I suddenly have to more gigs on my xp partition. Is that normal? Anyways it still wont boot. I went into the recycle bin and replaced the original hal.dll. Still wont boot. Please help.

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2009 - 10:33 AM

Have read several places on the Net that due to Vista`s differences over XP it will more or less take over the Primary boot place and not recognize XP.

Suggestions all over the Net on how to fix it. Some work for some people not for others.

Hopefully a dual-boot User will jump in with a fix.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,414 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 26 August 2009 - 11:35 AM

Which O/S was installed first? What was the original O/S on the system?

Have you ever successfully booted into XP?

You cannot overcome a problem in XP by booting into Vista, IMO. Even if you replace a given file, the reg entries for the old file still remain (since you cannot edit the registry of O/S A from O/S B.

Louis

#10 Sega Dude

Sega Dude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2009 - 04:34 PM

Vista was installed when I got the laptop. I did a sidegrade to XP. I installed it on the 3rd of augest and used it as my primary os for 3 or 4 weeks. It wont boot now.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,414 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2009 - 04:45 PM

Well...I'm surprised that it worked at all.

I'm also surprised that the Vista bootloader picked up an XP install...after Vista.

There are any number of reasons why things don't work properly now.

Error messages?

What happens when you try to boot to XP?

Does XP appear as a boot option onscreen?

Louis

System manufacturer and model?

Edited by hamluis, 26 August 2009 - 04:47 PM.

#12 Sega Dude

Sega Dude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2009 - 08:48 PM

Well...I'm surprised that it worked at all.

I'm also surprised that the Vista bootloader picked up an XP install...after Vista.

There are any number of reasons why things don't work properly now.

Error messages?

What happens when you try to boot to XP?

Does XP appear as a boot option onscreen?

Louis

System manufacturer and model?

The vista bootloader didnt pick up the xp install. I had to use NeoGrub to boot xp.

When I try to boot XP I get the error in the first post. It does appear as a boot option onscreen thanks to NeoGrub. Its a Compaq Presario CQ60-210US laptop.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,414 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2009 - 10:13 AM

The best suggestion that I can give, based on my limited personal experiences...is to install XP first, then Vista...which is the recommended sequence by Microsoft.

This is not the only way to boot both, as you can gather by using Google, with the search string "install XP after Vista"...but it's the easiest way.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sou...sta&aqi=g10

Louis

#14 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,286 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2009 - 04:00 PM

I'm just gonna watch.

If it was a broken XP, I could deal with it.

I don't have the combo knowledge, but read about it.

Good luck!

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users