Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AntiVirus and Internet Security replacements for Norton

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 the_moose

the_moose

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 19 July 2005 - 09:35 AM

Hi. Iíve finally had enough of my Norton AV and Internet Security suite ( :thumbsup: ) and have been looking to bin it. Iíve trawled around the net a bit and come up with what I hope to replace it with, and I wondered if there were any compatibility issues anyone is aware ofÖ

Reading through a few independent reviews, it seems that the Zone Alarm Pro is a good firewall to get and for Anti Virus software I might go for BitDefender 8 Pro or AVG AntiVirus Pro. I read that although the free version of AVG is good it might not be suitable Ďcos I spend quite a bit of time connected with broadbandÖ Iíd rather pay for the additional security if it makes it more secure.

Can anyone see any problems setting these up together (the Zone Alarm with either the BitDefender or the AVG) or would it be best to go for an all in one suite (maybe the Zone Security Suite or even the McAfee one??)

Any of your thoughts would be welcome, hope someone can help before I open yet another can of worms! :flowers:

Cheers, Moose.

Computer details if it matters :

Dell dimension 8300 with a Pentium 4 with hyperthreading technology (no idea, just copying it!)
3.0GHz 800fsb and 1MB cache
8x/4x DVD+R/+RW and 16x DVD
120GB 1st SATA hard drive (7200rpm) with 8MB Databurst cache
512MB DDR 400 Dual channel memory (2x256)
Creative Labs 5.1 Audigy2 Audio card
128MB DDR NVidia GeForce FX 5200
Windows XP Pro SP2

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 19 July 2005 - 11:44 AM

Either ZA or Sygate Personal Firewall are very good; a firewall is the first line of defence, especially if you are always connected to the internet. For most circumstances and most users, AVG free is more than adequate; this is especially so if your Email provider also scans your incomming Emails. When paired with some anti-spyware applications and some sound judgement, you should feel secure.

I am by nature somewhat skeptical of "suites," and prefer separate applications that have been designed for one (and only one) particular purpose; usually suites have one very strong function but the others are mediocre in doing their job. Separate programs also allow you to tailor your system to your own needs, experiment with alternative applications, and not rely on one source for your security needs.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 the_moose

the_moose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2005 - 12:18 PM

Thanks for the advice John :thumbsup:

....at the moment I've got AdAware, Spybot "Search and Destroy" and Spyware Blaster, and I use CCleaner....are there any others I should maybe look at to run in conjunction with the rest or should they cover it??

Moose

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2005 - 12:31 PM

Everyone has their own favourite set of applications, and some users prefer (or need) more than others, depending on their computing experience.
For the most part, what you have seems to cover all the important areas, especially if you don't use Internet Explorer as your default browser.
Now this is just one person's opinion, so you might want to wait for more members to comment.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 the_moose

the_moose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2005 - 06:57 AM

Thanks for your help John, I'll wait and see if anything else appears...

Cheers, Moose.

Edited by the_moose, 20 July 2005 - 06:57 AM.

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2005 - 11:23 AM

Hi Moose

I would suggest that you get a router to use as a hardware firewall and also use a free one as mentioned earlier, to inspect outgoing packets. I like and use the AVG7 free version along with SpywareBlaster and a Linksys router but I don't use a software firewall, rather I use NetStat Live to monitor internet traffic. I never have any problems that I don't inflict on myself. :thumbsup:

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users