Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU cooler won't speed up when temp rises

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 RknRusty

RknRusty

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 23 August 2009 - 06:23 PM

Like the title says, I have a new computer with an Intel E2210 dual core and AMI BIOS. Fan 1, the CPU cooler always runs at about 1230 RPM and there is no way in BIOS I can find to change it. I can set the SMART fan control to enable or disable, and I've tried it both ways with no effect. In the BIOS display, it says:
SMART fan control Enabled
SMART fan start PWM value 28
SMART fan offset PWM (-) 30
CPU Delta T +3
Fan 1 Slope PWM value/1 unit 5

The only thing that can be selected is Enable/Dsable. Is there something I'm missing in editing the BIOS? I'm using the arrow keys and the enter key to navigate.

I also use Speedfan 4.39, but nothing I configure has any effect either. I want to sppe fan 1 up, any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 23 August 2009 - 07:06 PM

Is this a custom built computer or a pre-assembled one (such as Dell, hp, Gateway, etc.)? If it's not a custom, I doubt you would have any options to adjust the fan speeds.

Are you sure you even need to adjust the fan speeds? If you're not having overheating problems, you don't need to bother turning the fan speed up. Maybe you could try disabling smartfan and then using speedfan to change it?
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 RknRusty

RknRusty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2009 - 09:03 PM

No it's an emachines. I did just what you suggest, disabled SMART control and tried to use speedfan but it has no effect.. I don't think it knows my motherboard. I'll look back into that, but I think this MB is just no-name chinese. System info lists its manufacturer as emachines.

My old computer was the same brand, but it was built by Gateway and had an MSI MB and phoenix BIOS which controlled the fans perfectly. It was a great machine This new one is of questionable quality. I see Acer utilities here and there, so maybe that's who made it. It has a couple of hardware recognition problems too. In the two weeks I've had it, it's been a pain in the butt, and that's even aside from Vista.

Thanks for your reply,
Rusty

#4 RknRusty

RknRusty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2009 - 10:55 PM

:thumbsup: As far as I can tell, it can't be changed on this OEM machine, nor can the AMI BIOS be upgraded. :flowers:

If I outlive this computer, I'm custom building next time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users