Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

which CPU-Z file to download

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Camelot

Camelot

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 23 August 2009 - 06:03 PM

I have been on here reading on how to clean my pc for several hours now!!! I am sure my pc is dusty and it could be why it is slowing down.

I also wanted to know what Ram I have on my pc. Right now I have 512MB and only have 91MB left. Had it changed a couple of years ago and have no clue what is inside. So I am at the point of downloaded CPU-Z. after reading

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/...l122.html#ident

Which one do I do?
http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php#about

1.52 setup
32-bit zip file
or
64-bit zip file

:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 23 August 2009 - 09:15 PM

Depends on which kind of Windows you have installed 32 bit or 64 bit.
Open Start Menu > Run and type winver and press Enter. It would open the About Windows dialog. If you have 64 bit Windows, you would see 64 bit edition written somewhere in that dialog. If you dont see it, you have 32 bit version.

Besides when 64 bit Windows XP boots, the boot logo has BIG x64 edition written under the Windows logo.

If in confusion, just download the setup version( http://www.cpuid.com/download/cpuz/cpuz_152_setup.exe ) that contains both 32 bit and 64 bit versions. The setup would install the correct version automatically.

#3 Camelot

Camelot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 23 August 2009 - 10:00 PM

Thanks for writing back about it. But, I thought after reading about how to clean out all the dust I can pull the Ram I have now and look at it. I wrote what was written on the sides. I have 2 in there. One says 32 x 64 PC133 and the other says ME -256 PC133.

But, anyways besides that you should have seen the dust around the CPU fan and heatsink. The dust was all in the blades. I vacuumed most of it out then used the compressed air to clean what I couldn't get at.

I then read on some other link I found on this site. It began with an "L" and spoke about really cleaning out a grudgey pc. He talks about taking off the front part and getting to the fan that sucks in the air. I tried getting it off and couldn't so I looked with a flashlight under the pc and seen the slot. I looked inside and saw this humongous hair ball!!

I vacuumed most of it out and then had to use needle nose pliers holding Q-Tips to get in there. I did get a lot of it out and used the compress air to get the rest.

So, I plug my pc back in after putting back the 2 Ram cards and it doesn't start up!!

I had to get on my laptop and see that you replied.

So now I have to make another thread on how to get my pc working again but in case you want to know what it says here it is so you won't have to look for my new thread:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
System32\Drivers\Ntfs.sys

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM.
Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

The only problem I have with that is I don't have the disk. This is one of 3 pc's that are running XP and the disk is at work. Plus, I downloaded that Cobian backup. I think that is what it was called and had another question about it and didn't get to post it and thought the dust cleanup would have been problem free. So no back up. But, I do have pictures and bookmarks saved from last week plus documents and other stuff.
Wish me luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users